Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   10 full tourism days in NS & PEI (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/10-full-tourism-days-in-ns-and-pei-1020551/)

cjworld Jul 20th, 2014 12:25 PM

10 full tourism days in NS & PEI

My apologies for my previous forum, I realize it was very vague. We were bouncing all over, changing dates, lengths of vacation and such plus I wrote out a lengthy what we were doing only to have it disappear just as I was finishing as the webpage flashed and I was back at the sign in screen. So now we have finalized it in that we are arriving by train on Monday Aug 4th at 7 pm and leaving again by train on Friday Aug 15th at 10 am so that provides us 10 full tourism days to see the sights. In pencil, I have us spending Tuesday Aug 5th in Halifax, then heading up and doing Cape Breton & Cabot Trail for the 6th & 7th. On the 8th we will head over to PEI and spend 2 days there (8th & 9th). Down to the Bay of Fundy (Digby area) for 2 days (10th, 11th). Then directly across to Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove for the 12th & 13th and then back to spend the last day (14th) in Halifax.
I welcome suggestions of any type of how to improve this or sites to see/places to stay/places to eat along the way.
We have never been to NS or PEI before and are looking very forward to seeing it's history, beauty and uniqueness. Thanks in advance for your help.

cjworld Jul 20th, 2014 01:16 PM

Oh, one thing I wanted to ask. It was suggested that we wouldn't need to book the B&B's in advance but book them as we arrive at the various places. Is that right? I would think I would need to book everything in advance.

Scotia Jul 20th, 2014 05:21 PM

I would book the B&B's in advance as that is peak season for NS and PEI.

cjworld Jul 20th, 2014 06:36 PM

Thanks Scotia, that was my thinking.

NorthwestMale Jul 21st, 2014 05:14 PM

Hi CJ...

You did much better this time... <i>not that anybody but yourself was short-changed by your earlier try</i>, but it's so much more productive when you have a backbone to your ideas, to be tweeked by Fodors regulars.

Based on what you've written here, I would press you to go and see <b>Hopewell Cape, NB</b> <I>at low tide</i> between PEI and your trip to Digby.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'd even suggest taking the slower path that would be Moncton - Amherst - <b>Parrsboro</b> - Truro.

(meaning: wake up early-ish on the 9th or 10th... leave the island via the Confederation Bridge ($45 toll!!)... then drive to Hopewell Cape, <b>timed for LOW TIDE</B> http://bayoffundytourism.com/tides/times/ ...

then back to NS, and down to Parrsboro, and on to Truro via the Fundy shore, and only then on to Digby.

also, <b>print tide tables for the area for the <i>entire window of your time there</b></i>. (only the Fundy tide tables, I mean... Hopewell Cape, Digby, Truro, and maybe one other random one)

C'mon, you can take the risk that is a few sheets of paper for this <b>preparation</b>.

I do think you <I>have a plan</i> now...

And I <I>wish</i> I weren't so lazy that I don't even want to bother trying to establish whether it MIGHT have better <I>flow</i> if you did the Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg <b>be<I>fore</i></b> driving across <I>the middle</i> to Digby.

(Look at the way the (few) highways are arranged in NS... Truro to Digby is slightly awkward... and that is the <I><b>only</b></i> reason I think of that)

longhorn55 Jul 21st, 2014 08:19 PM

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend that you check out from your local library or buy from your local bookstore a copy of Frommer's Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island guidebook. I found it an invaluable resource for our recent trip to NS and PEI.

cjworld Jul 23rd, 2014 08:51 AM

Thanks NorthwestMale and longhorn55. With NorthwestMale's suggestions, now thinking of removing Digby completely as we were going there for the Bay of Fundy sights and whale watching but obviously better for the BoF in NB and we can do the whale watching in Cape Breton (which I realize is the smaller whales). I will post again the new plan with the various changes to see what you think. Thanks again.

cjworld Jul 28th, 2014 08:37 AM

One thing I am stuck at which hopefully someone can help with, we are staying in Pictou Friday Aug 8th, taking the ferry to PEI Saturday morning, doing Charlottetown and then driving up that evening to the B&B in Cavendish I have booked. Sunday we are doing the Green Gables sites and the PEI National Park and area, THEN I'M STUCK. I went through the PEI visitor's guide and picked places of interest but they seem to be in all different directions from the Cavendish area. Do I do a third day in PEI and do a driving tour which will drop us to 1 day in Lunenburg instead of 2 or do I go onto the next stop of Hopewell Rocks and consider PEI done? Thanks in advance.

NorthwestMale Jul 28th, 2014 11:30 AM

... I just... think, that since you do have more <I>time constraints</i> than the select few who can <I><b>really</b></i> give proper time to the whole area, it makes sense to press-on after two days on PEI.

Particularly IF you are going to see the Anne of Green Gables sites, <b>and</b> have two nights on the island in different spots.

Besides, better to save the added expenses of something else, when that $45 <b>toll</b> on the bridge looms in your path.

Reach for your Hopewell Cape tide table, and see how you can <b>time things</b> to get there and see it <I>in the evening</i> (given low tide)... thus perhaps saving yourself some time the next day... so you can expedite the return toward Halifax. (allowing/saving time for the Parrsboro-Truro shoreline path)

cjworld Aug 1st, 2014 04:31 AM

Everything is planned out and booked, going to be great. Thanks for your help !