Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   1 month - highlights of Canada?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/1-month-highlights-of-canada-615216/)

wilees May 13th, 2006 02:19 AM

1 month - highlights of Canada??

This time next year I will be going to Turkey, Greece (again!) then over to Canada on my way home to NZ (woohoo!)

So I will have 1 month - 6 weeks to see "Canada". I am only just starting planning and I will diligently read hundreds of posts over the next few months.

but just to get me started:

What are your 3 "do not miss" places or things or trips in Canada and why??

laverendrye May 13th, 2006 02:57 AM

I assume that you have not visited Canada before, so here are three places to start:

1. Quebec City: founded in 1608, and the only walled city in North America.

2. Niagara Falls: we tend to be a bit blasé about the falls, but they are one of the great natural wonders of the world.

3. The Rocky Mountain Parks: Banff, Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay and Glacier all have spectacular scenery, even for a Kiwi.

However, since you will have a month to six weeks, you won't have to confine yourself to these. While in Quebec, you certainly should visit Montreal; similarly from Niagara Falls, Toronto is only a bit more than an hour away. For your return home, you will undoubtedly fly through Vancouver, and you should plan to spend some time there. These are Canada's three largest cities, all very cosmopolitan and with many attractions.

You may not have time for the maritime provinces, but out of 6 weeks, a week in Nova Scotia, visiting Halifax, Lunenburg and Cape Breton would certainly be worthwhile.

I probably don't have to remind you how big Canada is, but one way to get an appreciation for the size and variety of the Canadian landscape would be to travel by train, say from MOntreal to Toronto, and then to Jasper and Vancouver. In six weeks, you could probably afford to take the time. Check out the Via Rail site for details.

I'm sure that you will get many other suggestions. Enjoy your visit.

bob_brown May 13th, 2006 06:46 AM

Given that Canada is a time zone wider than the US without Alaska and Hawaii, you have a lot to see.

I agree with the suggestions above, but there is much to take in.

My first choice for a Canadian visit is the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, but that is because I am partial to the mountains.

Of the cities, Quebec, Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver are interesting. Montreal is virtually unique in its blend of cultures while Vancouver is one place where east meets west in a multi cultural environment. Toronto also has a mix of different groups and a very interesting list of attractions.

I also like Ottawa ,Victoria, Edmonton, and Calgary. There are many places to visit, and I am sure that I left out a city or two on my list -- like Winnipeg and Halifax.

Gavin May 13th, 2006 08:08 AM

My "top three" from east to west are:
1) Province of Quebec. Quebec City, Montreal and possibly a more rural place. Ottawa is easy to add on from Montreal.
2) Southern Ontario. Toronto and Niagara Falls. Algonquin Park to get out of cities for a bit.
3) Alberta. The Rocky Mountain parks are wonderfull. Do have a look at the flat part too...it makes up a big part of Canada and is interesting in its own way.

Beyond these three I also suggest seeing part of Atlantic Canada. Newfoundland is the most different. Nova Scotia is the easiest to work into your itinerary because Halifax has non-stop air service to European cities.

British Columbia also has much to offer the visitor in the way of great scenery and interesting cities.

Nobody has mentioned the arctic. Few people go there because it is expensive to get there but if you are looking for something completely different and like wilderness it could be very worthwhile.

My suggestion is one week in Atlantic Canada, two in Quebec and Ontario, one in Alberta and one in British Columbia.

Have fun planning.

TobieT May 13th, 2006 08:48 AM

If you're coming from the east, going west, then I would say top 3 are:

1. Niagara Falls....with side trips to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. As mentioned, some of rural Quebec would be wonderful.

http://www.niagaraparks.com/
http://www.bonjourquebec.com/

2. Rockies....Jasper and Banff, and the spectacular Icefields in between

http://www1.travelalberta.com/canada/en/

3. Vancouver Island......plus the city of Vancouver

http://www.pacificrimtourism.ca/welcome/index1.htm

While the east coast of Canada is beautiful in its own right, I love the Pacific Rim and BC.

You could easily spend 5-6 weeks in Canada visiting these locations.... 2 weeks in Ontario and Quebec, a week or two in Alberta and the Rockies, and 2 weeks in British Columbia.

I think you'll find whichever "do not miss" places you visit, you will want to see the contrast between the rugged natural beauty of Canada, and the sophisticated and cultural aspects of our country.... sometimes only a few miles from one another!

wilees May 13th, 2006 10:49 AM

Gosh thanks team! This is exactly what I am after. It will be my first time to Canada (probably not the last).

It is just such a large country on the map!

More suggestions are welcome!

NorthwestMale May 15th, 2006 02:12 PM

Geez, Canada down to three spots:

Vancouver is probably number one. It amazes me 15-25 times per year and I can only imagine it as visited for the first time.

Nova Scotia is number two. It has history, and geography that assures that it isn't overrun by society. That along with awesome natural wonders.

The Canadian Rockies are number three. Last time I went they were awesome, but had I not just returned from Alaska they'd have seemed even more stunning.

Recently there was a Life Magazine publication called:

"Heaven on Earth 100 must-see destinations"

In it were just two places in the world's second largest country:

"Churchill, Manitoba"

and "Vancouver"

ltt May 16th, 2006 06:26 AM

i will say most of what you've heard with the exception that i would not go too far out of my way to see toronto or the niagara falls.
i would fly into halifax and spend 10 days seeing nova scotia and cape breton. hopefully you will have the funds to rent a car as getting around the province without one is a little difficult. then take the train to quebec and see montreal and quebec city. fly from there to calgary, alberta. spend the remaining time exploring banff & jasper areas of alberta. then onto bc. the entire province is beautiful and i'd definitly recommend several nights around the tofino area on vancouver island.

gannetmusic May 16th, 2006 10:25 AM

Since you have the luxury of several weeks I would suggest the following.

This assumes that your visit will be in late June or a bit later.

A week in Newfoundland exploring the east coast /Avalon Peninsula. A unique culture, wonderful scenery and abundant wildlife.

Churchill is fascinating but at that season the biting insects are fierce- I suggest a late fall visit there for polar bears.

A week to 10 days split between Quebec City and environs, Montreal and Ottawa to explore french Canada with plenty of history and great food included.

A week or more in the Rocky Mountains and adjacent Alberta for amazing scenery and a very different cultural experience.

A week or more in Vancouver /Victoria and area for scenery and the Pacific Ocean.

These are just a few choices. There are many other wonderful possibilities. What are your particular areas of interest?

Jerry

wilees May 17th, 2006 06:01 AM

This is great!! I will be slowly researching and planning most of your suggestions. As I intend to be gainfully unemployed at that time - I can travel as long as the money lasts!!