Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Canada (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/)
-   -   05/06 Ski season, what are the predictions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/canada/05-06-ski-season-what-are-the-predictions-550032/)

Marko Aug 7th, 2005 09:04 PM

05/06 Ski season, what are the predictions?

Last season was apparently the worst for 30 years, on the west side of Canada, what are the early predictions for the 05/06 season ?

Borealis Aug 7th, 2005 10:41 PM

Wow!! This IS early to be asking!!
If you believe Environment Canada's predictions, above normal temperatures and near normal precipitation is predicted for the Canadian Rockies for the next three months (August - September - October). If they are correct, it means that there won't be an early start to the ski season, and you're probably looking at December before there's enough snow on the ground.
But - Environment Canada's general seasonal predictions are often wrong, so all you can do is wait and see.

Marko Aug 9th, 2005 01:41 AM

Here in Oz it is a summer sport amongst the Snow folk to postulate on the upcoming season ! It is truly amazing the number of young Aussies who spend the Canadian winter working at Ski resorts. When we are at big white I have been told you have to search out a Canadian accent !

Marko Aug 10th, 2005 05:17 PM

Just for the information of the Aussies in Canada, it absolutely puked down snow yesterday and today in the NSW and Victorian resorts, in fact they had snow down to sea level in Tasmania ! More to come tomorrow !

Marko Aug 25th, 2005 10:47 PM

any news...I would hate to get gravel rash whilst skiing in january !! ;)
;)

Borealis Aug 26th, 2005 07:53 AM

Hey Marko!! It's still summer here. . . . although I have noticed the leaves have suddenly started turning yellow, more so around the Jasper area than further south, so autumn is definitely around the corner.

laverendrye Aug 26th, 2005 01:13 PM

It certainly still is summer, but on the other hand, a couple of nights ago there was a touch of snow in the alpine at Golden BC.

Tootsall Aug 28th, 2005 01:55 PM

Man, if I could predict that kind of information this far in advance I could make a killing selling the info to the ski resorts. Last year started off with really superb snow early season. Then the January rains hit and just about wiped out the entire Canadian West in one, month-long shot of "warm and wet".

I took our family to Kimberley BC for a few days in late February and there were only about 40% of the trails open.

I've got my fingers crossed for this year but.... you just never know. Good snow years are generally the rule though so the odds are in our favour.

Still, I wouldn't be making any reservations tooooo far in advance. About the safest bet (if it's within your budget) is some of the cat skiing/boarding up through the Nelson/Revelstoke areas.

Tootsall Aug 28th, 2005 01:57 PM

To add to the above... with exchange rates and energy (transportation) prices where they are I predict a relative "shortage" of US skiers in the Canadian West. That means some great "last-minute" package bargains to be had for those who are willing to be patient and "roll the dice".

Marko Aug 28th, 2005 02:37 PM

Hi Tootsall, when you travel as a party of five ( three teenagers !) you can't roll the dice. (maybe one day, that is if they ever decide to leave home !). We have already booked Big White mainly due to some advice about inland ski fields being less impacted by the "wet and Warm" !! Hope that holds true !

ALF Aug 30th, 2005 07:59 AM

NOAA issues long-range prediction maps. This URL shows the 3-month prediction for Dec/Jan/Feb (http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/pre...off_index.html). They too show above normal temps and normal precip for the west coast.

We are planning to go to Whistler in February, but you just never know. Yes, last season was terrible, but we hit Whistler last April, and the high Alpine areas were quite good.

Marko Oct 24th, 2005 02:31 PM

any updates, I have read that Europe is destined to have a very cold winter this year what about BC?

laverendrye Oct 24th, 2005 03:54 PM

Kicking HOrse, where I will be skiing this February, is reporting 75cm of snow in the alpine bowls already. The prospects look good.

Carmanah Oct 26th, 2005 08:43 AM

Marko, it's still really early. :) Anyone can guess that it'll be a good winter, but nobody really knows until winter arrives! So far it's been a really wet fall.

Marko Oct 26th, 2005 03:49 PM

I know Carmanah !! <font color="blue"> but snow deprivation disorder is a dreadfull disease ! ((a))</font>

Marko Oct 30th, 2005 02:30 PM

Just saw some white at Big White, you have to love live web cams !!!

ALF Nov 1st, 2005 10:50 PM

Blackcomb opens on November 5th!

Carmanah Nov 2nd, 2005 07:17 AM

Hey Marko, the mountains in Vancouver have a dusting of snow on their highest peaks! Whistler's opening this weekend too!

Orcas Nov 2nd, 2005 10:50 AM

Crystal at Mt. Rainier in Washington is opening this weekend, the earliest in 28 years! Mt. Baker is hoping to open on Tuesday! Cross fingers!

Marko Nov 2nd, 2005 12:45 PM

woooo hooooo