Looking for some feedback on an upcoming trip to Australia in January. I have about two weeks that I plan to split primarily between Melbourne and southeastern Australia, and the Cairns/Gold Coast/Brisbane area. One of the other things I really wanted to do was make the trip out to Uluru for a few days, but I'm wondering if the heat in January will make it not enjoyable.
I'm not easily intimidated by hot weather; I've just returned from four months backpacking in the sweltering heat and humidity in Southeast Asia, but I've heard the exposure and dryness of the Red Centre can be pretty unbearable. So, I don't mind heat to a certain extent, but if it's going to be really unpleasant, there's so much else to see in Australia and maybe Uluru is best saved for another trip.
Alternatives for me would be something like Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island, or more time in Cairns or some time in Adelaide or the Barossa Valley. Very open to other suggestions on any of this, though Melbourne is a must for me. I'm a big tennis fan so I want to be there from the tournament, but other than that, I'm not set on this itinerary.
I'm 23, female, traveling alone. I'm planning to rent a car in these places so driving doesn't intimidate me, and I'm traveling on a mid-level budget. I'm fine splurging on a great hotel or something really amazing in one location if I can travel on the cheap everywhere else.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 BROTHER Printer 1800:681:7208 Installation CONTACT Brother Tec*h by 24/7
- 2 30 Days Down Under
- 3 Kaikoura SH1 update
- 4 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 5 70-Something Suggestions
- 6 Melbourne lodging locations
- 7 Sydney High tea
- 8 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 9 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 10 Australia for two weeks.
- 11 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 12 Itinerary decisions
- 13 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 14 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 15 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 16 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 17 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 18 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 19 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 20 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 21 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 22 First time visiting Australia
- 23 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 24 Australia dollar
- 25 Australia - first time