I just came across some trip reports on this forum and they made for some very enjoyable reading, especially details on stay and meals. My DH and I just turned 60 and our trip to the SI is planned for March-April 2016. Here is our planned itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive Christchurch, explore
Day 2: Drive to Kaikoura, walk along the Peninsula Walkway
Day 3: Drive to Picton and take water transport to Marlborough Sounds. Nature Cruise in the afternoon.
Day 4: Explore Marlborough Sounds
Day 5: Drive to Kaiteriteri and take water transport to Abel Tasman Park lodging. Lunch and some time in Nelson?
Day 6: Explore Abel Tasman
Day 7: Drive to Punakaiki
Day 8: Drive to Franz Joseph, perhaps take in Hokitika Gorge?
Day 9: Short walks and Lake Matheson
Day 10: Drive to Wanaka
Day 11: Wanaka in am, drive to Te Anau later in the day
Day 12: Milford Sound coach-cruise-coach
Day 13: Doubtful Sound coach-cruise
Day 14: Drive the SSR to north Catlins, taking in sights along the way
Day 15: Drive to Dunedin and spend the rest of the day at the Otago Peninsula
Day16: Drive to Lake Tekapo via Oamaru and Twizel
Day 17: Explore Lake Tekapo
Day 18: Drive to Mt. Cook, explore
Day 19: Drive to Queenstown, explore
Day 20: Queenstown scenic drives
Day 21: Depart from Queenstown
We will be traveling from Monterey, California. I do not drive so it will be just my DH driving on this trip. We plan to use a rental car and use varied accommodation: hotels, lodges, B&Bs etc.
Thanks very much for your comments!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 AOL @ Password Reset CONTACT 1:844:307:2790 AOL Tec*h sup0rt 24\7rk
- 2 Transportation from the airport to the Rocks (Australian Heritage Hotel)?
- 3 NYE Perth
- 4 Christmas in Cairns
- 5 30 Days Down Under
- 6 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 7 How to save in travel cost in Perth, Melborne and Sydney
- 8 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 9 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 10 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 11 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 12 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 13 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 14 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 15 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 16 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 17 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 18 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 19 2 week Australia recommendations
- 20 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 21 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 22 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase
- 23 New Zealand Trip- Last Minute Trip-Need Help With Itinerary
- 24 Australia + Surf
- 25 Car rentals from North/South Islands