I am attending a conference in Sydney from 15-19 April. I have a plane ticket into Sydney landing on 9 April. I am a keen (but not very good, although I am PADI certified) diver, but my passion is snorkling. I will be traveling alone, and since this is technically not a holiday, I do not have too much cash to spend on the trip.
I would love to go to the great barrier reef. My question is: How feasible is this and is there a way to do it affordably? I assume I would need to fly there and abck from Sydney. This seems to cost between $200 and $300 one way. Once at the reef, where is the best places to stay? Would a live aboard be possible for two days, one night. And me being a lone traveler would that be possible?
Are there nice snorkling spots closer to Sydney? Are there nice scenic coastal drives close to Sydney?
Should I bother flying around in the 5 days I have or should I rather see Sydney and do a day trip. And if so where? I am more keen on beaches than on the Blue Mountains. I am not so much interested in swimming, since I can do this at home; but would be keen on snorkling or scenic beaches - rocks and cliffs and the likes.
I am used to traveling, also on my own, but have never been to Australia and do not know how easy it would be. Is it advisable to rent a car or use public transport for trips outside of Sydney.
Help much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Miami vs Virginia
- 2 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 3 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 4 Itinerary decisions
- 5 Melbourne lodging locations
- 6 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 7 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 8 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 9 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 10 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 11 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 12 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 13 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 14 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 15 First time visiting Australia
- 16 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 17 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 18 Australia dollar
- 19 Australia - first time
- 20 Sydney airport
- 21 Sydney Airport connecting flights
- 22 How many days for Auckland and Christchurch on a 30-day trip?
- 23 great barrfier reef
- 24 Uluru
- 25 Milford Sound (Fly! Cruise! Fly!) - Travel Report