We are planning to take a trip to the South Island in Dec/Jan 2014. We are a family of 4. 2 kids 11 and 14. We will have about 2 weeks. I keep reading that it is really busy that time of year. How busy does that mean? Will it detract from the trip?
We would like to either rent a car or perhaps a camper van. Does renting the camper van make things more complicated?
If we rent a car do I have to book into all the hotels in advance or can we play it as we go?
We are looking for a trip where we spend 2 or more days in each place rather than spending too much time in the car. I know that we won't be able to see the whole island.
We are interested in animal life, beautiful land/sea scapes (my daughter loves photography) and some great adventures -kayaking, biking etc. We would be into seeing some more off the beaten track sites as well.
Any itinerary that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!
We are open to anything!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 YAHOO☎ 1888:260:2909 password reset contact☎ Tec*hh care sbaba!
- 2 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 3 Best New Zealand Restaurants
- 4 Best New Zealand wineries Napier
- 5 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 6 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 7 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 8 SH1 north of Kaikoura is open!
- 9 Franz Josef glacier is advancing
- 10 Melbourne lodging locations
- 11 Christmas in Cairns
- 12 30 Days Down Under
- 13 NYE Perth
- 14 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 15 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 16 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 17 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 18 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 19 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 20 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 21 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 22 2 week Australia recommendations
- 23 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 24 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 25 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase