My family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 12 and 8) will be in the Melbourne area for about a week in August as part of our AU adventure. The big question is whether or not to go see the penguins on Phillip Island. I have seen them before, and I enjoyed the experience very much, but my husband and boys have never had the pleasure. The boys *love* animals...but I'm concerned that it might be too long a haul to make it worthwhile in miserable weather.
One thing that might make it seem like less of a schlep would be to spend the whole day in that area. Perhaps we can do some things on the Mornington Peninsula and in the general Phillip Island area (The Nobbies, Koala Conservation Centre, Ashcombe Maze, etc.) during the day and then head to the penguins in the evening. Have any of you experienced these things during winter? (If it were summer, I wouldn't hesitate.) Do the penguins come in earlier in the wintertime? I wonder.
We will have a rental car, so getting there and back isn't an issue. (When I saw the penguins in the past, I did it with a tour bus.) Are we better off just skipping the whole thing and finding some indoor activities in Melbourne instead? I'm very much torn about the whole thing, so any advice/opinions/suggestions you can offer would be most welcome.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Gmail Customer Support Phone Number Australia +61-283173468
- 2 Christmas in Cairns
- 3 INDEPENDENT TRAVEL BY BUS, TRAIN AND PLANE
- 4 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 5 30 Days Down Under
- 6 NYE Perth
- 7 How to save in travel cost in Perth, Melborne and Sydney
- 8 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 9 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 10 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 11 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 12 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 13 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 14 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 15 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 16 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 17 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 18 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 19 2 week Australia recommendations
- 20 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 21 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 22 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase
- 23 New Zealand Trip- Last Minute Trip-Need Help With Itinerary
- 24 Australia + Surf
- 25 Car rentals from North/South Islands