We are fortunate in being able to add a NZ extension to our Oz trip. We plan on spending about 9 days in the South Island, spending a couple days at Franz and Fox, 3 days or so at QT, a day at Milford Sound, and a day at Aoraki/Mt Cook.
Our concern is that we are not skiiers, and many of the other activities in QT seemed to be geared toward warmer weather. Is 3 days in QT in winter for non-skiiers advisable? Are there any "must do" winter sites or activities.
By the same token, it appears that winter driving into Milford Sound may be questionable. Is it correct to assume MS should be viewed in winter time? Should we simply bus it there?
We are planning to rent a car, and have significant winter driving experience here in the New England area, but it seems like NZ winters are a bit different with avalanche threats and the like.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 3 Nights Te Anau in February - Still Pondering Best Use of Time
- 2 30 Days Down Under
- 3 Sydney High tea
- 4 Melbourne lodging locations
- 5 Kaikoura SH1 update
- 6 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 7 70-Something Suggestions
- 8 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 9 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 10 Australia for two weeks.
- 11 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 12 Itinerary decisions
- 13 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 14 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 15 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 16 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 17 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 18 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 19 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 20 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 21 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 22 First time visiting Australia
- 23 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 24 Australia dollar
- 25 Australia - first time