I'm planning to visit NZ soon, for something like 2 months - from mid-November to mid-end of January. I'll rent a car for the period.
I have just now found a place on the Milford track, at 17.12. Which seems to give a month to get there.
Now, I want to get there without backtracking too much after the track, and without missing out on the must-see sights on the way.
Which itinerary is best for this plan? I thought about giving about two weeks to the north island (or maybe less, as I'm anyway bound to return to it to catch a flight back) and then going through the east coast of the south island, as it seems less time consuming than the west coast. What's the time constants here, if I don't want to be in a hurry? And about the north island, what's the best way to cover it in two visits?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 2 Sydney High tea
- 3 3 Nights Te Anau in February - Still Pondering Best Use of Time
- 4 70-Something Suggestions
- 5 Melbourne lodging locations
- 6 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 7 30 Days Down Under
- 8 Kaikoura SH1 update
- 9 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 10 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 11 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 12 Australia for two weeks.
- 13 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 14 Itinerary decisions
- 15 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 16 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 17 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 18 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 19 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 20 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 21 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 22 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 23 First time visiting Australia
- 24 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 25 Australia dollar