We had originally planned to stay in Punakaiki and drive from Abel Tasman to Punakaiki in one day so as to leave ourselves enough time to enjoy the journey. But at this point the only good accommodation I found for our travel date is near Hokitika. Would it be too rushed if we made an early start? We do want to make stops at must-see places along the way (suggestions welcome). So far I have Buller Gorge, Cape Foulwind and Punakaiki.
The next day we drive to Franz Josef. If we do stay in Hokitika, are there any scenic drives we must do before we start off? I imagine we could leave around 2 pm and still make Franz Josef by about 6. I have read about the gorge and Lake Mahinapua, Okarito or even driving up to Arthur's Pass and back. Which would be the best for our first time on the South Island?
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 2 Sydney High tea
- 3 3 Nights Te Anau in February - Still Pondering Best Use of Time
- 4 70-Something Suggestions
- 5 Melbourne lodging locations
- 6 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 7 30 Days Down Under
- 8 Kaikoura SH1 update
- 9 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 10 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 11 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 12 Australia for two weeks.
- 13 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 14 Itinerary decisions
- 15 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 16 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 17 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 18 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 19 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 20 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 21 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 22 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 23 First time visiting Australia
- 24 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 25 Australia dollar