Australia & the Pacific Forums

Post New Topic

Recent Activity

View all Australia & the Pacific activity »
  1. 1 Trip Report http://www.kesamuroa.com/awaderm/
  2. 2 Melbourne lodging locations
  3. 3 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
  4. 4 Sydney High tea
  5. 5 Kaikoura SH1 update
  6. 6 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
  7. 7 Trip Report 30 Days Down Under
  8. 8 Hotel areas in Sydney
  9. 9 Australia for two weeks.
  10. 10 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
  11. 11 Itinerary decisions
  12. 12 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
  13. 13 New Years Eve in Sydney
  14. 14 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
  15. 15 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
  16. 16 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
  17. 17 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
  18. 18 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
  19. 19 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
  20. 20 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
  21. 21 First time visiting Australia
  22. 22 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
  23. 23 Australia dollar
  24. 24 Australia - first time
  25. 25 Sydney airport
View next 25 » Back to the top

Ash Cloud Over New Zealand

Jump to last reply

After many months of planning and looking forward to our 3 and a half week trip to the South Island of New Zealand, it is starting to look like we might have to cancel due to the ash cloud from the volcano. We are booked on Qantas who hasn't been flying to/from New Zealand for the last 5 days.

Until today it looked like most other airlines were flying so we figured we could at least do the London->Sydney portion of our trip and then purchase tickets for Sydney->New Zealand hop on another airline when we arrived if we had to. However, now we've read that other airlines have had to cancel flights as well and that the ash cloud could hang around for a while.

Does anyone in Australia or New Zealand have any better predictions from the meteorologists? We don't want to cancel the entire trip, but we also don't want to get all the way to Sydney to find out that we can't make it to New Zealand. We are supposed to fly out on Saturday and are really not sure what to do. If we cancel the entire trip Qantas says on their website they'll refund the cost and I think we could cancel out of our accommodations and tours. If we fly to Sydney and then get stuck then obviously we would not get a refund. We can't do this trip at any other time of the year so postponing is not an option.

We are so frustrated!

16 Replies |Back to top

Sign in to comment.

Advertisement