Thank you for all the previous posts about driving around New Zealand whilst on holiday, I can assure you I've read many and they have helped me to come up with this itinerary.
We are visiting NZ as part of our honeymoon (early 30's) and have 15 nights in a motorhome to get from Christchurch to Auckland in April. I've noted the concerns about trying to fit too much in so we have deleted a couple of places from the trip (Dunedin/Punakaiki/Motueki). Jet lag wont be a issue as we are coming over from Melbourne, and I am used to driving vehicles of this size and on narrow roads.
So, the provisional route is (times are A-B not accounting for stops):
Day 1: Christchurch
Day 2: Christchurch - Greymouth (3.5 hrs)
Day 3: Greymouth - Fox Glacier (2.5 hrs)
Day 4: Fox Glacier - Arrowtown (4 hrs)
Day 5: Arrowtown - Milford Sound (4 hrs)
Day 6: Milford Sound
Day 7: Milford sound - Queenstown (4 hrs)
Day 8: Queenstown
Day 9: Queenstown - Twizel (3 hrs)
Day 10: Twizel - Kiakora (6 hrs)
Day 11: Kiakora - Nelson (3.5 hrs)
Day 12: Nelson - Picton (2 hrs)
Day 13: Picton - Wellington (4hrs FERRY)
Day 14: Wellington - Lake Taupo (5 hrs)
Day 15: Lake Taupo - Rotorua (1.5 hrs)
Day 16: Rotorua - Auckland (3.5 hrs)
Followed by 2 nights in Auckland with friends to show us around.
Is this a feasible route? Obviously we want time in most locations to explore and do activities/see the sights etc. I'm thinking this will be mostly in the morning with most of the driving done in the afternoon.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 AVAST 1~800~681:7208 installations Contact AVAST Tec*h care
- 2 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 3 Best New Zealand Restaurants
- 4 Best New Zealand wineries Napier
- 5 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 6 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 7 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 8 SH1 north of Kaikoura is open!
- 9 Franz Josef glacier is advancing
- 10 Melbourne lodging locations
- 11 Christmas in Cairns
- 12 30 Days Down Under
- 13 NYE Perth
- 14 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 15 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 16 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 17 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 18 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 19 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 20 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 21 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 22 2 week Australia recommendations
- 23 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 24 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 25 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase