I am visiting Australia in Mid-late September. While I will be traveling with a friend in Sydney for the first week, I will be there an additional week alone. I was looking up fares on Greyhound and saw that there was a ticket you can buy from Sydney to Cairns making multiple stops along the way. I have a week to travel and was wondering if it would be safe for a 23 yr old female to do this trip alone? I currently live in Chicago so I am very comfortable in large cities. I would plan on staying in hostels at each city I stopped in.
-Is the Greyhound system in Australia safe?
-Approximately how long would it take to get from Sydney to Cairns via Greyhound? (Assuming I have a weeks time and could make a few stops, would that be enough time?)
-What would be the best places along the way to stop? (Here is a map of the route http://www.greyhound.com.au/Help/types-of-passes/maps/map-mini-traveller-syd-cns.aspx)
-Do you think I should take small flights up along the coast (Maybe Sydney-Brisbane, then Brisbane-Cairns) instead? I thought the Greyhound experience might be cool and I could sight-see during the ride!
I would appreciate any help or insight! This would be my first trip to Australia and while I am sure it is a wonderful and safe country, I am just nervous to embark on this journey alone seeing as I am a female (and pretty small! haha).
If anyone has gone up the East coast on a Greyhound or know anyone who is doing this similar trip please let me know! I would love to meet up!
Thank you so much!
-Very excited lady from Chicago
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 AVIRA Installation Contact 1800~681:7208 AVG Tec*h sup0rt care 24by7VS
- 2 SH1 north of Kaikoura is open!
- 3 Franz Josef glacier is advancing
- 4 Melbourne lodging locations
- 5 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 6 Christmas in Cairns
- 7 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 8 30 Days Down Under
- 9 NYE Perth
- 10 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 11 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 12 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 13 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 14 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 15 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 16 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 17 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 18 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 19 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 20 2 week Australia recommendations
- 21 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 22 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 23 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase
- 24 New Zealand Trip- Last Minute Trip-Need Help With Itinerary
- 25 Australia + Surf