I’m looking for some help with my Abel Tasman portion of my trip (going in Nov 2014).
I am staying in Picton and plan to leave around 8:30 am to drive to Abel. I’m guessing this will take maybe 5hrs with stops along the way to take pictures. Is that accurate? This would give me half a day in the park for my “Abel Day 1”.
I have a full day in the park the next day (Abel Day 2).
I need to drive to Greymouth the next day and get there ideally by 5:30pm.
Knowing that I would like to get a short kayak trip in along with some walking, my questions are:
1) Does anyone know of a kayak tour company that starts their afternoon tours (guided) around 2:00? I think a noon start is just not feasible leaving Picton at 8:30. I could leave earlier if I picked up my car the night before I suppose but I want to make sure I get to see QCD in the daylight.
2) I’ve heard the best portion of the Abel track is Tonga to Torrent. Are there many taxi services or just the main one by the park? The times for the taxis do not run very late – the last drop off at Marahau (where I am staying) is 4pm. Which seems early since sunset will be around 8pm that time of year.
3) I think I would have to leave Abel around noon at the latest to get to Greymouth by 5:30ish. Is that accurate? I’ve looked up times via this forum and AA and it said 5 hrs. I’m wondering if I could take a morning kayak trip on the morning of “Day 3”.
Thanks for your help – this forum is amazing!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 2 Best New Zealand Restaurants
- 3 Best New Zealand wineries Napier
- 4 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 5 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 6 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 7 SH1 north of Kaikoura is open!
- 8 Franz Josef glacier is advancing
- 9 Melbourne lodging locations
- 10 Christmas in Cairns
- 11 30 Days Down Under
- 12 NYE Perth
- 13 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 14 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 15 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 16 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 17 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 18 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 19 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 20 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 21 2 week Australia recommendations
- 22 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 23 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 24 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase
- 25 New Zealand Trip- Last Minute Trip-Need Help With Itinerary