My wife and I booked one of those awesome fares from LA to Auckland. We have 9.5 days from wheels down in AKL to wheels up in AKL. Looking for some advice on what to make sure we hit. We are ok flying between cities in NZ and/or renting a car.
Here is a very early idea... please lend your thoughts.
Day 1: Early morning flight from AKL to Queenstown. Arrive Queenstown. Take bus to glenorchy and do the dart boat tour (we want to enjoy the scenery not necessarily do a thrill ride on the faster Jetboat). Explore Queenstown for the evening.
Day 2: Pick up rental car, drive to local hot springs (which are the best in the area?), drive Te Anau and spend the night.
Day 3: Take bus or drive to Milford sound, do cruise. Drive or fly back to Queenstown.
Day 4: Drive to Wanaka, ski Treble Cone, spend the night in Wanaka.
Day 5: Drive up the west coast to Fox/Franz Glaciers tour the glaciers and stay overnight OR drive the mountain pass towards Christchurch stopping somewhere.
Day 6: Drive to Nelson and Fly to AKL OR drive to Christchurch and fly to AKL.
Day 7: Drive to Rotorua?!? Stay overnight in Rotorua
Day 8: Hot Springs in Rotorua and drive back to AKL. Stay overnight in AKL
Day 9: Explore AKL
Day 10: Depart AKL
Overall questions would be:
Rotorua and Hamner Springs are the two hot springs I've heard most about...is there any near Queenstown? And if so should we go to one near Queenstown or the two more well known ones?
Skiing- my wife and I are intermediate level skiers and want to hit one resort for one day...what would be a good resort for us?
Winery- My wife also wants to fit a winery in here...any suggestions?
Overall thoughts on our itinerary? Anything we are missing that is a must do?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 AOL @ PASSWORD Reset CONTACT 1:888:482:3831 AOL Tec*h Supp0rt Care 24/7
- 2 Melbourne lodging locations
- 3 Sydney and Melbourne - hipster areas
- 4 Christmas in Cairns
- 5 Let battle commence! [Ashes 2017-18 thread]
- 6 30 Days Down Under
- 7 NYE Perth
- 8 Giving Kaikoura's wildlife a helping hand
- 9 Kaikoura-Picton bus service restored
- 10 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 11 Tasman Glacier and Mount Cook - Travel Report
- 12 Australia vs New Zealand to travel in may 2018
- 13 Holiday wit toddler in may 2018
- 14 What to wear in Sydney and Melbourne the next two weeks?
- 15 heli-hike vs flight seeing
- 16 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 17 Roy's Peak/Mt. Roy Track, Wanaka, NZ
- 18 2 week Australia recommendations
- 19 10 Night South Island Itinerary Suggestions Please
- 20 Australia Honeymoon in February
- 21 Queenstown CBD, NZ, parking fees increase
- 22 New Zealand Trip- Last Minute Trip-Need Help With Itinerary
- 23 Australia + Surf
- 24 Car rentals from North/South Islands
- 25 Sydney High tea