DH and I are planning a 16 (or 17) day trip to the South Island taking advantage of Air NZ's promotional fares for their new non-stop route from Houston to Aukland. We can go in either February or March of 2016. Any thoughts / comments as to better timing. Is March less busy? Is weather significantly different between early February and late March. Any holidays that we should be aware of in this time frame?
Also would appreciate any comments on what you consider to be the absolute must do / must see things on the South Island.
We are interested in nature, hiking, scenery and birding, not into vineyards. We are in our early 60s and are quite physically active, but we won't be planning any abseiling, zip-lining or bungee jumping.
Milford Sound - overnight cruise - any thoughts, comments.
We will have more questions later on but we only have until Monday to decide the timing of our flights
Thank you for any assistance that you can provide
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Coffee treasure hunt in Sydney and Melbourne
- 2 30 Days Down Under
- 3 Hotel areas in Sydney
- 4 Australia for two weeks.
- 5 Fine-tuning South Island Itinerary for February 2018
- 6 Itinerary decisions
- 7 Melbourne lodging locations
- 8 Driving Valbonne - Annecy in December. Which route / where to stay?
- 9 New Years Eve in Sydney
- 10 Climbing the Sydney Bridge???
- 11 Last-Minute Trip To Australia - Dec 2017
- 12 Help planning my visit to Uluru in late February
- 13 Great Ocean Road - how much time?
- 14 Help planning Blue Mountains trip
- 15 Diamantina - what can you tell me about Castle Hill
- 16 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 17 First time visiting Australia
- 18 Sun Sand & Surf. Short & Sweet. Tonga & Fiji
- 19 Help! Samoa or Moorea, Indecisive
- 20 Australia dollar
- 21 Australia - first time
- 22 Sydney airport
- 23 Sydney Airport connecting flights
- 24 How many days for Auckland and Christchurch on a 30-day trip?
- 25 great barrfier reef