Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Your favorite experience in Fiji... (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/your-favorite-experience-in-fiji-549104/)

donnae_b Aug 3rd, 2005 07:28 PM

Your favorite experience in Fiji...

What was your favorite experience at Octopus or Bounty Island?

What are you going to do next time you go to Fiji?

mike_b12 Aug 5th, 2005 03:59 PM

ttt

tropo Aug 5th, 2005 05:07 PM

Twenty years ago, I took my family to Fiji for the first time. We stayed a week at a large resort on the main island, around on the southern side, called the coral coast, loads of people, lots of restaurants, and pools/bars, etc.....then the second half of our trip was a week on Castaway Island (just off the coast from Nandi), where we stayed in bures (not a lot of accommodation then), and the main dining area (when its not raining) was an OUTDOOR area under the coconut palms, and to sit in this area, on a warm evening air, scent of the tropics, with a full moon shining above, wining & dining with family & new found friends, was something I will never forget.
I guess now Castaway might have a large indoor dining area, with airconditioning...which is just not the same experience we had all those years ago.

donnae_b Aug 6th, 2005 03:01 PM

tropo,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully, we will bring the same magical feeling home with us.

tropo Aug 6th, 2005 05:36 PM

I hope so. I guess those magic moments really depend on the people around you, and the"natural" surrounds, that we often take for granted, rather than 5 star hotels.

Pleiades Aug 6th, 2005 09:57 PM

Bula Tropo -- we've had 3 family holidays at Castaway over the last 5 years. It's stil a wonderful place. There is a roof over the dining area but still no airconditioning, just the warm Fijian air wafting around. I would be back there in a trice. Donnae - I also know the owners of Octopus and although I haven't been there, I have heard great reviews about the diving etc. I have nothing but good things to say about Fiji. Sigh. It's winter in NZ and Castaway is like a wonderful dream ... why don't you have time on both islands? YOu could go straight to Castaway from Nadi and then onto OCtopus which is a little more remote.

donnae_b Aug 6th, 2005 10:48 PM

Pleiades,
We already have 2 nights booked on Bounty island. Where did you stay on Castaway? Is it easy to take a daytrip over to Castaway from Bounty?
Thanks

Pleiades Aug 7th, 2005 03:12 PM

Hi Donnaeb .. I'm not sure of the exact travel time between Castaway / Bounty but as they are both in the Mamanucas, it shouldn't be a problem.
Most of the islands have their own boats for island hopping and I see that Bounty can arrange it for you.
Castaway is a lovely place to visit for a day. We went there on a day trip for the first time and loved it, and as I say have been back three times since!There is only one resort on Castaway and thre is nice snorkelling just off the point. Also very pleasant to lounge around the pool.
BTW Castaway is not actually the site of the Tom Hanks film but that island is not faraway and is spectacularly beautiful and uninhabited -- you can't land there but its gorgeous to look at.

donnae_b Aug 7th, 2005 03:40 PM

Can we rent a boat and go from Island to Island on our own?

Thank you for your responses.

Pleiades Aug 7th, 2005 05:28 PM

Bula. I am a qualified recreational boatmaster and i would feel an uncomfortable navigating the Mamanucas on a one-off basis. There are quite a few shallow coral reefs. Generally, the Fijian boatmen navigate in a traditional way ... they just 'know' where everything is, although there are a few formal marks from time to time. My advice .. relax and enjoy the ride, let someone else worry about the reefs!