Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Yasawa Island Resort vs. Vatulele and Namale Fiji Resort?

Jun 5th, 2002, 10:24 AM
mry

We are debating between Vatulele, Yasawa island Resort, and Namale Fiji Resort in Fiji. Has anyone been to any of these? if so, please let me know as we are having a tough decision!!!

Jun 5th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Mary

What a decision! They're all lovely. I guess my personal preferences would be 1. yasawa, 2. vatulale, and I haven't been to namale - but I've heard great reports. What time of year are you going?

Jun 6th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Peggy

Having been to Vatulele & Namale, I would pick Vatulele. The honeymoon bure at Namale is fantastic, as is the food & service but the beach & watersports, along with the food & ambience at Vatulele wins it for me. You'll love any of those places. In a few days another poster should be returning from Yasawa so perhaps we'll get a report from her.

Jun 6th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Lori

we were making the same decision and have chosen Vatulele (for August)-- the beach looks gorgeous and we've heard very positive things on this board.

Jun 6th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Peggy

Lori,
One thing I have told others planning to go to Vatulele, if you want to book Nooki island for a private island picnic, email the island & reserve it before you go. It books up fast & when you get there all the days may be gone. It is such fun, it would be a shame to miss it.

Jul 1st, 2002, 09:00 AM
Heather

I can only comment on Yasawa since I haven't been to the others. My husband and I were there this year in April/May and it was an amazing 10 days. I cannot recommend the resort enough. The bures are incredible, the beaches are beautiful, the staff are the friendliest we've ever met and the food was wonderful. If you'd like any specific details, email me and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:16 PM
dede

I have to agree with Heather that the Yasawa resort is wonderful in every area. The island is very beautiful and more remote. Visiting the local villages was great. Women are requested to wear a skirt and no hats to be worn when in the village area. Also a visit to the local school was a treat as each class of children would sing for the visitors. Try a very early morning walk to the other side of the island and a stroll on the beach as the sun rises. The accomodatons were very comfortable and the food was top notch. Getting together in the evenings in the main lounge area for cocktails and chat with other guests was fun. Have a great trip.

Aug 15th, 2002, 11:31 AM
hana

Mary,
It has been a few years since my boyfriend (now fiancee) were at Yasawa and all I can really say is you will not be disappointed in choosing Yasawa. The accomodations are topnotch, food is incredibly fresh and tasty and their staff is incredibly friendly and accomodating. From the lobster omelettes at breakfast to the lovely isolated beaches - it is a beautiful resort that will leave you feeling utterly contented. At the time of our visit, an older British couple had just come from Vatulele themselves and were spending their last week at Yasawa. They did comment that they felt Yasawa was better value for their $$$ and that the resort was just as nice - if not better than Vatulele. At that time the rates at Vatulele included alcohol - I am not sure that still stands today. If you are looking for privacy, simple elegance, good service, great food, activity (the snorkelling is very good - at least I thought so) or non-active lazy days around a gorgeous pool then Yasawa is a perfect fit. Good luck!