Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Would you recommend Pavilion on the Park in Sydney for Chrismtas lunch?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to visit the Taronga Zoo in the morning on Chrismtas Day and take a ferry to Manly in the afternoon. I am trying to find a nice place for lunch. I emailed a few restaurants, some of which will be closed and some of which are full. Now, I am about to book Christmas lunch at Pavilion on the Park in the Botanic Garden. I have searched some old posts on fodors but they were mostly reviews back in 2002. Anyone recent reviews on this restaurant? And any comments and suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Maxi, I had an excellent lunch there about a week ago. They're doing a 6 course Christmas lunch $130 and have some vacancies. They're sending me the menu so can forward if you don't already have it. Alternatively, just contact them direct.

Another option just nearby is the Botanic Gardens Restaurant (same rating in the SMH Good food guide). Right in the middle of the Royal Botanic gardens. Also have some vacancies. www.trippaswhite.com.au
$120 fp.

I called a couple of others but all fully booked.

Good luck - let me know if you'd like me to call any others - it's just a local call for me !
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:39 PM

Maxi, I now have the Pavillion's wine list, so if you would like it, perhaps you might like to post an e-mail address and I'll forward it for your perusal
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM

I am no sydney fine dining expert but I had an excellent long lunch at the botanic gardens restaurant about a year ago..a filtered view of farm cove thru the gardens.

Hard to believe one was 500 metres from the city.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info.

Bokhara, special thanks for your help. I already found the menus on the restaurant's website.

I think I will just go ahead with my reservation before it's fully booked.
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:38 PM

My pleasure, Maxi - and I would book now if I were you.
Enjoy your Christmas here in "our town".
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

I just got my reservation confirmed. Thanks again.
Old Dec 6th, 2005, 09:18 PM

On the down side - the Zoo will almost certainly be closed on Christmas Day. Just about everything is.
Old Dec 7th, 2005, 02:19 AM

Just checked the website: Zoo's open 0900-1700 including Christmas Day.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Just a thought...

You're going to be at Taronga in the morning, Botanical Gardens for lunch, and then Manly in the afternoon?

Taronga is *huge*... arrive early so you can get there and get in. Start from the top of the zoo and work your way down. (It's a rather steep slope). When you get to the bottom, you can catch the ferry across to the quay, and get to the botanical gardens. (Bit of a walk there, too!)

Then you're going to have to walk back to the Quay, and catch a ferry to Manly. If they have the jet cats running, catch one of those instead. It will only take about 10 minutes as opposed to 30.
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional info.

Originally, I wanted to have lunch either at the Quay area or in Manly but mostly of the restaruants that are open are already booked.

Are we really in a hurry? We could always give up Manly, if we are not in the mood. But then what do we do in the afternoon?
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Maybe you would be better to do the zoo on another day ? It takes the best part of a day to see properly and can be quite tiring. You could do the ferry trip to Manly and then come back to the lunch. I think you will be drooping by then.In that case I would suggest taking the ferry rather than the jet cat which does not give you the same experience. However if you are doing the three things in one day which I think is too much, then take emilid's advice of doing the quick route to Manly by jet cat. I agree at the zoo it is better to go to the top by bus and walk down rather than walk up all day. Have fun!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Yes, you'd really be in a hurry. The zoo is not just a place for animals, it's a great place to view excellent Australian flora. Also, there are many wonderful photo ops of the Harbour Bridge/Opera House from the zoo.

I second Peter's suggestion. It would take the better part of a day to do the zoo alone. Or, have a look at Taronga's website and plan what animals/exhibits you want to see and stick to that.

I was visiting the Botanical Gardens and NSW Art Gallery last year with my Mum while I was on a quick six-day trip back home. It suprised me how long the walk was from the gardens to the quay and back...it certainly seemed a lot longer than what it did when I was a kid!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

In that case, will I be better off if I go to the zoo in the morning and come back for Christmas lunch around, say 2 pm? Or should I go for a earlier lunch and go to the zoo in the afternoon?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Hi Maxi,
At this time of year, I'd prefer to visit the zoo in the morning as it's a little cooler.

If you're keen to see it on Christmas day, perhaps you could take a ferry over so you're there when it opens at 9 O'clock. You can take a cable car from the wharf up to the zoo - easy and wonderful views. Then, book lunch for 2 O'clock and after a leisurely Christmas lunch, have a wander around the Botanic Gardens. Unfortunately, the NSW Art Gallery is closed on Christmas Day.

Something you might like to do in the afteroon, if you still have the energy (LOL) is take a bus out to Watsons Bay, perhaps something to eat/drink at the Watsons Bay Hotel and then catch a ferry back to Circular Quay, stopping at Double Bay en route. Or, you could take a 324 bus back, hop off anywhere that looks interesting on the way.

I might just say that sunset at Watsons Bay, looking back up the harbour at the Bridge is pretty hard to beat.

If you don't feel like all that exertion (LOL), again, a nice walk through the Botanical Gardens, maybe through to Potts Point and back to Mrs Macquarie's Chair (the point at the North/eastern end of the Gardens) for sunset is pretty special.

My 2 cents FWIW, is to keep your plans flexible and on the relaxed side so you can really just enjoy the moment on Christmas Day.