Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Worth the upgrade to Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/worth-the-upgrade-to-sydney-414105/)

cguest88 Mar 22nd, 2004 03:31 PM

Worth the upgrade to Sydney

Hi everyone,

I am back with another small question. Flying from the East Coast of USA to Sydney. Is it worth it to upgrade with points into 1st class or business for a trip in late April or is the flight not going to be full and I can use an entire row to sleep.
Thanks.

SusanInToronto Mar 22nd, 2004 04:59 PM

If I were able to upgrade with points, I'd be doing it. Only flew once before to Australia and it was not fun. Going again in 3 weeks time and dreading the flight.

australiabound Mar 23rd, 2004 03:42 AM

Hi Cquest88,

I am flying to Sydney from New York this Friday in Business Class. I had to buy my Business Class ticket. Good luck trying to get an upgrade to Business or First Class with mileage. The airlines, American, Qantas, and United, severely limit the number of seats for upgrades. That's because they can easily sell the seat. Most of the flight from New York and Los Angeles to Sydney are almost filled to capacity in Business and First Classs. Most of the people traveling in these classes are business people. The companies they work for normally fly their employees in these classes.

You would have to try to request an upgrade almost 11 months out and have to call almost everyday. Next to Hawaii, Australia is the next destination where people use mileage to upgrade or acquire Business or First Class tickets. American and United do not have upgrades for international flights, only domestic flights.

The flights are also filled to capacity in Coach as well. I'm not sure that you're going to get an entire row to yourself where you can raise all the armrests and sleep lying down. There are less flights nowadays due to the economy.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Australiabound

Dick Mar 23rd, 2004 04:57 AM

I was able to use FF mile to get two first class tickets.

My wife and I didn't mind the 19 hours flying time from the East Coast. We felt spoiled with all of the attention from the flight attendants. Fresh fruit and chocolates were available all night. We had plenty of room to stretch out.

When we landed in Sydney, we were the first ones at the immigration counter.

We flew from Dulles and were able to fly to LAX on a plane that was configured for international travel(i.e. not the small domestic first class section)

Also, you will have access to the first class lounge on the west coast while waiting for your flight to Oz.

Bottom, line if you can fly on award travel, you get a lot of "bang for your buck"

cguest88 Mar 23rd, 2004 05:04 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will upgrade.

Australiabound, I understand what you are talking about b/c I have been shut out of flights before but I spoke with the United reps this weekend and 1st class had three remaining seats and business was completely open going to Australia. Coming back from Australia business was completely open and there were 1st class available but not released as of yet. I would have to pay a couple hundred bucks plus points to upgrade but it is worth, going on my honeymoon.

Thanks