Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Will my US Driving Licence work ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/will-my-us-driving-licence-work-463301/)

CarlPost2 Jul 29th, 2004 06:34 AM

Will my US Driving Licence work ?

Hi,

We are planning on renting a car and driving in Australia (Melbourne - GOR) and New Zealand (Christchurch-Queenstown, Dunedin, etc).

What kind of a driver's licence do we need for this ? Will our standard American driving licence work there ?

Can someone please advise ? Thanks !

Possum Jul 29th, 2004 07:34 AM

Carl, your US driving licence is technically only valid for the US. It might, however, suffice as proof of "driving ability" for your intended car rental company- depending on if you have hired with them before and if they have branches in the States and also international destinations. Your "local" hiring record may be transferable to the international situation, but I can't say it is generally so. You may need no further documentation, but every company is different in it's requirements. Just ask them.
Personally, and particularly if you are going to hire a car from an Aussie based company, I'd get an International Driving Permit (usually available from your local Automobile Association for a very small fee) just to cover yourself. I'd even get it just as a precaution.
You take in a passport-sized photo, pay a minimal amount (about A$15) and are issued the document. It generally provides you with reciprocal rights to the services provided by your local Automobile Association. The local "association" in Victoria is the R.A.C.V. (Royal Automotive Club of Victoria). As an International Licence Holder I think you can obtain detailed maps, gain advice and make discounted bookings for accomodation and visits to tourist attractions. You can certainly get these benefits as a "local member".

Just do your research. Go to your local "Automobile Association" place and ask about where you want to go and what you want to do. Join up if you need to. They will give you all the information you need. I've rented cars in Europe and the US and I've had the International Permit with me every time. I've never really needed to use it, but there's always that "one" instance....
Possum

Jed Jul 29th, 2004 11:02 AM

check out <http://www.newzealand.com/travel/tra...d-home.cfm>

"Licences and Permits

You can legally drive in New Zealand for up to 12 months if you have either a current driver's licence from your home country, or an International Driving Permit (IDP)."

Your US driver's license will work in NZ. ((Y))

elvisisdead Jul 29th, 2004 11:23 AM

From an internet article "Driving in Australia":

"Thinking of driving in Australia? Well, fine.

If you?re a visitor and hold a valid driver?s licence (in English) from your own country, fine, you?re allowed to drive throughout all of Australia. (But an international driver's licence, if you have one, does not by itself give you the right to drive in Australia.)

If your driver's licence is not in English, a translation may be necessary and you may need to have an international licence as well.

If you come from a country where motorists drive on the left-hand side of the road, there?s not much more to know, and you should easily adjust to driving in Australia by following local driving customs and laws."

AndrewDavid Jul 29th, 2004 05:24 PM

Carl, We did 5 rentals in Australia with US licenses. No problem. The car rental companies were particularly nice about letting us keep cars overnight at no extra charge to allow us to get out to various airports for our 6am flights.

AndrewDavid

repete Jul 29th, 2004 06:03 PM

i've rented and driven in both countries with just a u.s. license with no problems.

CarlPost2 Jul 30th, 2004 01:35 PM

Excellent ! Thanks a lot, thats one more item off my list.