Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Will it work out this time? Cairns in Aug/Sept 2010 (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/will-it-work-out-this-time-cairns-in-aug-sept-2010-a-830812/)

Toucan2 Mar 13th, 2010 06:03 PM

Will it work out this time? Cairns in Aug/Sept 2010

Last year my husband and I talked about a short trip to Cairns then the economy tanked and I wasn't sure I would have a job so we bailed on the idea. Economy is a teensy bit more stable now, and my job is much more stable.

So, I saw a Qantas sale and started playing with dates. I've found a trip from LAX to Cairns, including all fees, for just $2007 (USD) for the two of us, which is an amazing deal. We still have to get to LA but I can usually find $200-250 RT flights for that.

This would be through Brisbane, August 27-September 12. We wouldn't make additional flights this trip, just fly to Cairns and venture from there. The big disadvantage would be not seeing my friends in Sydney, but the stop adds a lot of time and money. Maybe they would want to fly up to spend a few days with me :-)

I am thinking Brisbane may also be a less crowded airport than Sydney? I've only flown domestically through Brisbane, but it seemed smaller and clearing customs there before flying on to Cairns seems like it should be nice and easy.

I'm trying to convince my husband this is a great idea. Any thoughts from any of you?

Bokhara2 Mar 13th, 2010 08:01 PM

Yes, BNE will be less crowded than Sydney & then you only have a short hop up to Cairns. There are often good fares Sydney - Cairns, so perhaps your friends could join you there for a few days. School holidays don't start until late September, so you should be able to find good accommodation rates & availability, too. Lovely time to be in FNQ.

AlanJG Mar 13th, 2010 09:26 PM

A great time of year to be in north Queensland. You'll need something warm for any nights you spend on hte Atherton Tablelands though as the evenings can still be cool.

At Brisbane you can take the train between the terminals.

Toucan2 Mar 14th, 2010 06:21 AM

I had originally thought Sept 3 to about the 18th, and the fares were rising. Then I checked the holiday schedule and realized some of the holidays for the diff states started between Sept 18-24 so that's when I moved the dates back a week. Looks like that would be a good plan.

Yes, we would want to spend some time in the Atherton Tablelands, so will need to bring some slightly warmer gear. Of course, we will just be coming out of August in Kansas City, MO so cooler weather will probably be quite welcome!

Just need to convince my husband. Maybe some persuasive banana chocolate chip cookies are in order.

Bokhara2 Mar 14th, 2010 12:51 PM

Just remind him how little gorgeous women need to wear in FNQ ;)

pat_woolford Mar 14th, 2010 07:52 PM

Yes, Toucan, tell your husband he can check out the array of topless young nubile European backpackers at the lagoon on Cairns Esplanade. Then, just a couple of hundred metres away is world-famous birdwatching site of the feathered variety.

Daytime max temperatures for Aug/Sept in Cairns are around 26C-28C, minimums 17C-18C. So it won't exactly be balmy tropical weather for eating out at night, you'd probably need a light sweater or jacket.

Toucan2 Mar 15th, 2010 06:10 PM

LOL I will be sure to let him know. Is the lagoon by the mangroves?

pat_woolford Mar 16th, 2010 03:56 AM

Hi Toucan, not far from the extensive mangrove system of Trinity Inlet which runs inland from about the Hilton Hotel. www.cairnsesplanade.com/project.html The huge advantage of the lagoon is that it is both stinger and crocodile free, important for at least six months of the year although this isn't a worry in August/Sept.

There's a good little half day trip with naturalist who explains how vital a healthy mangrove system is to the reef, the boat runs through the mangroves to a crocodile farm, www.crocodileexplorer.com.au There's around 20,000 crocs at the farm, from hatchlings to giants, but it is a farm, where most crocs ,when they reach a length of about 6 feet are killed for skins,highly prized in European fashion houses, as well as for meat, and their by-products. So its not a tourist "jumping croc" show and I think far more intersting.

Toucan2 Mar 16th, 2010 04:14 PM

Pat, that does sound interesting. We did a tour a few years back with Peter Cooper, I think it was called Mangrove Man tours? It was pretty interesting to learn about that ecosystem. I do remember some nasty biting sand flies too!