Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   wildflowers galore (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/wildflowers-galore-175889/)

oceanbreeze Jan 4th, 2004 10:04 AM

wildflowers galore

We are hoping to visit Australia, especially to see the wildflowers, reef and animals.

Is September the best time for the wildflowers?

Has anyone stayed at some of the Marriott resorts in the various areas? We have points so being able to stay in this family of hotels would be great.

Timewise if you only have three weeks what would be your allocation for such a large country?

Has anyone taken The Great South Pacific Express? Is it worth the cost?

Janese Jan 4th, 2004 12:04 PM

West Australia is the absolute best place for wildflowers because the variety, extent, colour and uniqueness is beyond description. I "think" September is the best time but although I lived in W.A. for 7 years I cannot quite remember so hopefully someone from there will help you.
As for the train trip across the country - well if your time is only 3 weeks then I would fly because there is so much of nothing along the way and you would have seen quite a lot on your wildflower tours anyway. Other areas of Australia do have wildflowers and they are beautiful but not like W.A.
I would fly perhaps from Perth to Cairns and see some of the GBR then on to Sydney. You could, if you liked, stop over in Alice Springs perhaps en route if the centre is something you would like.

oceanbreeze Jan 4th, 2004 01:03 PM

Thanks so much for the info.

Is there any special city/town that is the best to be closest to the wildflowers?

I know 3 weeks is so short for this wonderful country, but you do what you have to do.

Thanks again.

margo_oz Jan 5th, 2004 10:20 AM

September is indeed the best time for wildflowers in Western Australia. And WA is renowned for its wildflowers. In Perth, Kings Park will be out in all it's glory - but you really need to get out of the city, either on a tour or by car, to see them best.

In Sydney, September - October is good - but again - you won't see much in the city. The national parks to the north and south are probably your best bets. You need to drive, or be a walker to see them at their best. Walking is definitely the best way. Even the Spit to Manly walk should have wildflowers out at that time of year.

There is a wildflower reserve, Stony Range (I think), at Dee Why, a suburb in the north of Sydney, which is accessible by bus.

Marriott hotels are Marriott hotels - they could be anywhere! There are some in Sydney.

marg Jan 8th, 2004 08:48 PM

We saw the most magnificent wildflowers around Kalbarri in Western Australia in August/September. If you have time, it's worth the drive from Perth. Kalbarri is about 600 km north of Perth - you could also visit the Pinnacles National Park and Geraldton on the way.