Whitsunday Great Walk

Mar 18th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Whitsunday Great Walk

Hello,

I'm planning on doing the Whitsunday great walk when I come from Canada to Queensland. I'm just wondering if anyone who has done the walk would have any advice or would recommend the walk.

Thanks
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:15 AM

As nobody else has replied - I am wondering if you really mean the Whitsunday great walk. The Whitsundays are a group of islands - there are walking opportunities, but nothing that would earn the epithet "great" as in "long and arduous" rather than "just wonderful" (but might only take an hour).

Might you be thinking of the treks/tramps/hikes on Hinchinbrook? These are for serious walkers only, and are, I believe, of 2-3 days' duration, and you must be self-reliant.

Way outside my capacity, but check google (Hinchinbrook) or try the thorn tree for info.

Best of luck.
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:52 AM
ALF

The 30 km Whitsunday Great Walk is actually on the mainland, and goes through tropical rainforest in the Conway State Forest. It starts about halfway between Proserpine and Airlie Beach, and ends at Airlie Beach. We have only been on the portion near Airlie Beach, leading to a little day-walk, called the Honeyeater walk. The track winds through some fine examples of old-growth coastal tropical rainforest. The tramping season is only half the year though (they recommend April through September), as you don't want to do it during the wet parts of rainy season or the dry parts of the dry season.

My impression is that this 3-day, "Great Walk" has only been publicized for the last 2 years. Conway State Forest is quite nice, but it seems a bit pretentious to me to call this 3-day tramp a "Great Walk" in the traditions of, for example, The Overland Track. This is all part of a Queensland government initiative to develop six Great Walks (http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks_and_...s/great_walks/). Three are open so far, with the other three scheduled to be open soon.

Search this Thread