Where to stop Great Ocean Drive

Nov 20th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Brett

Where to stop Great Ocean Drive

My wife and I arrive in Melbourne at noon on Dec 5th and plan to drive straight out to Great Ocean Drive. We will then spend the next day continuing on Great Ocean Drive and then back to Melbourne (hopefully by 7PM). Where should we spend the night along the road? I think we should book ahead, but I don't want to stop too early and then have to rush the next day. Lorne, Apollo Bay, Pt. Fairy??

Nov 20th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Brooke

You should stop at Bells Beach. They have some great accomadation and one of the most famous surfing beaches!

Apollo Bay is also amazing as is Lorne, the entire Great Ocean road is a fantastic drive.

Nov 21st, 2002, 05:52 AM
Mike

G'day Brett,
I think you should try to get at least as far as Apollo Bay on your day of arrival.
Then if you start early the next day you can continue on the GOR as far as Port Fairy, head north to the Grampians and from there back to Melbourne via Ballarat.
There is plenty of accommodation at Apollo Bay and it won't be too busy there until after Dec. 25th.
If you are not leaving Melbourne until after noon I don't think you would make it all that much further anyhow unless you want to drive non stop.

Enjoy,
Mike.

Search this Thread