Reload this Page >

Tours and Car Rental in Brisbane

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Marina

Do you think I should book the tours in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef before I leave home? Also, is it better to book the car before leaving home? I got a price of $50.00 Canadian a day for a Toyota Camry. Would it be about the same price in Australia? Would there be a car rental agency at the Brisbane airport so that on arrival we could just rent a car to go to the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast? Please advise.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 01:12 PM
LizF

Don't book your tours from Canada because I doubt that you will get the full gambit of them all there. <BR>$50 Canadian per day for a Toyota camry is not too bad BUT as we don't know how long that is for ( rental that is) or whether its for a manual or automatic its hard to comment. <BR>There are rental agencies at Brisbane Airport but there are also other agencies which give you a much wider choice in Brisbane - or not far from the airport which you can use. If I remember correctly $50Can is about $75Australian so there would not be any great benefit I would think. <BR>Try looking up the rental sites in Australia and emailing them. <BR>Search under Brisbane - then car rental and the agencies should come up for you. I may check anyway and see what there could be.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 01:22 PM
LizF

As far as Sydney is concerned and tours there. I would think that if you got a Sydney Explorer Bus pass and/or Bondi explorer bus pass you could do it all yourself and save. Everything is available at Circular Quay where the ferries leave and you can check out most things also on the net under Sydney Transport. <BR>On the other hand you may like to just get the Air Train at Brisbane Airport and get yourself down to the Gold Coast by train and get to your accommodation and then use the free shuttles to attractions such as the Theme parks. Saves getting a car and you can really get around without one especially if you get a place to stay in the Broadbeach area where everything is at your fingertips. <BR>If you need more info about that let me know and I will try and help you out. <BR>

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Marina

Thanks for your advice Liz. We will be staying at the Calypso Suites in Coolangatta. Do you think we need a car there? Can we take the Air Tran to Coolangatta from Brisbane? Do you know what the fare is for the train? Also, we are spending 2 days on the Sunshine Coast on arrival at Brisbane and then spending 1 night in Brisbane before we go to the Gold Coast. Do you think it is cheaper to take a bus to the Sunshine Coast? Again, would you have any idea what the cost would be. That would save us on a car. Look forward to your reply.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 11:59 AM
LizF

Ok now I have it all - yes I would get a car especially as you are going to the Sunshine Coast on arrival and although the train does go upto the SC it does not go very near it so that the cost of a cab would just about pay for your rental car. Yes you will need a car on the SC because you will want to see more than public transport will allow you. Try and go to Eumundi Markets on a Saturday morning (EARLY) as its a great craft market and you would really enjoy that. Don't miss the hinterland with the little craft shops and great views either AND be sure to take in Steve Irwin's place ( crocodile Hunter) which is in Beerwah - you can do that by taking the Glasshouse Mountains road turnoff which is about 5 klms north of Caboulture and which is a loop which will bring you back on the SC road anyway. That will take you through the little towns of Glasshouse, Beerway, Mooloolah, Landsborough & Beerburum and its a nice alternative to the highway. <BR>You will also need a car if you are staying at Coolangatta because that is at the southern end of the Gold Coast and away from the main centre of everything i.e. theme parks, large shopping centres etc. Also on the GC don't forget that the hinterland is a terrific place with many wonderful National Parks, Tamborine Mountain where I live has 9 Parks, 6 wineries, a distillery, waterfalls, gloworms, wonderful walks and lovely arts and craft places together with a wonderful lot of restaurants including Australia's top BYO Restaurant - fantastic views as well. <BR>I hope I have covered everything fairly well for you but you can always ask specifics anyway. <BR>Whilst in Coolangatta you must go to Currumbin Bird Sanctuary and further south is Tropic Fruit World for something entirely different. A nice drive to Byron Bay is nice too especially if you do the circle route and go through Nimbin and around the nightcap mountain range through some of the lovely country of northern NSW.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Marina

Thank you very much Liz. As always, you are a tremendous help to people like us who haven't a clue of that part of the world. We will rent a car and try and explore the Sunshine Coast as well as the Gold Coast area and all the places who have mentioned.