Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   What ONE place to stay for 2 weeks? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/what-one-place-to-stay-for-2-weeks-344679/)

Jake57 Aug 4th, 2003 08:29 PM

What ONE place to stay for 2 weeks?

My family of four (two boys, 9 & 15) are in the first stages of planning a trip to Australia. We love seclusion, wildlife (animals, not bars), scenery and beaches. We are able to go any time of year and hate to pack and unpack more than once. Of course we would do day trips. We don't get bored easily: We stayed on little Aitutaki in the Cooks for two weeks. I'm thinking Brisbane, but WHERE and WHEN would you go?! THANKS!

johhj_au Aug 4th, 2003 08:39 PM

Get youself a cabin at the

Broken Head Caravan Park

in February.

Jake57 Aug 5th, 2003 06:35 AM

Thanks for the quick response, John. What other places around there should I not miss?

mpoll Aug 5th, 2003 04:36 PM

If you want to base yourself for 2 weeks without moving, I'd recommend the Gold Coast. Its just over the NSW/Queensland border, about 1 hour south of Brisbane. There's great beaches, plenty of wildlife parks and some wonderful National parks and scenery in the Hinterland. You could also do some great daytrips south to Byron Bay/northen NSW or north to the Sunshine Coast or even Frazer Island. There are also some great Theme parks to keep the kids happy. You can avoid the touristy area by staying south of Surfers Paradise in one of several beachside suburbs. There are loads of accommodation options all along the beaches.
I think the best time of year to visit is around March/April, the heat of summer has dropped a bit but the water is still warm. Avoid the NSW/Qld school holidays in April.

Jake57 Aug 5th, 2003 06:15 PM

Great insights, mpoll. Appreciate your help. Sounds great.

johhj_au Aug 5th, 2003 08:13 PM

C'mon Mpoll...this bloke enjoyed two weeks in the Cooks and is looking for seclusion and nature and you are sending him to an apartment at Broadbeach!!

Jake..the Gold Coast from coolangatta to southport is a triumph of the white shoe brigade...wakiki meets copacabana meets miami meets blackpool meets orlando....you get the picture

Further south in Byron shire there is no high rise,no global fast food joints etc.
Instead of seeing dolphins at sea world you will see them on your sea kayak trip to wategoes beach..
instead of seeing koalas at the david fleays zoo you will see them wild at the broadwater koala reserve

instead of an apartment in a high rise at broadbeach you will have a cabin nestled in the littoral rainforest at broken head.stumble out of bed and hit the beach for your wake up surf...take a dip in the tea tree lake...walk through the rainforest to take a swim at the pool beneath minyon falls...climb mt warning...watch the sunset across byron bay from the lighthouse.buy a didgeridoo at the channon markets

take yourself back to the california of the 60's.find a combination of geography,climate and lifestyle that is pretty hard to beat anywhere.

margo_oz Aug 6th, 2003 02:22 AM

I'd certainly pick Byron and vicinity over the Gold Coast. But - kids - how much entertaining do they need?
Those theme parks are not my cup of tea, but kids love 'em!

Jake57 Aug 6th, 2003 04:50 AM

You guys are the greatest. Yes, my kids are as simple as I am. They do love swimming at the beach for days. We feel a vacation should be totally stress-free: Few people, no rushing to catch the bus to the next destination, etc. PLEASE keep the cards 'n' letters coming. THANKS, again.

lcuy Aug 7th, 2003 02:49 AM

My husband had the best surf of his life in Mermaid beach...had some dolphins accompany him on the waves..no charge, no guide necessary!
I think either Surfers/Brisbane or up in Port Douglas area would both be okay for two weeks. Both have lots of stuff to do- shoppping, swimming, wildlife nearby, great food, and a whole slew of daytrips. PD has more wild outdoor activities and Surfers has more theme parks if that makes a difference.

Personally, I'd do one week in Port Douglas, then one week in Sydney. It would be a shame to miss the bridge climb, as that was the highlight of our trip (with daughters age 14 &16), and we enjoyed seeing the opera house, Manly beach and other great spots there.

When we went, we spent 1 week near GBR, 5 days in Surfers, and a week in Sydney. It was perfect.