Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   what not to miss in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/what-not-to-miss-in-sydney-583214/)

Shar Jan 19th, 2006 12:23 PM

what not to miss in Sydney

At the end of our cruise in Tahiti we will have 3 days in Sydney and 3 days in Aukland. What are absolute "must see and do" for those 3 days in Sydney and 3 days in Aukland. We will be there March 11-17.

tropo Jan 19th, 2006 04:38 PM

Shar, you will get lots of ideas from Aussie contributors on this chat board, regarding the "must sees" of Sydney, and there are a lot of things to see & do, but one THING YOU MUST DO, and that is a Harbour Cruise, or better still, get a Daytripper Ticket which allows you to travel on Sydney buses, trains & ferries all day long, ie. you can hop on & off various ferries to visit places or have a swim a nice harbour beach, then hop back on the ferry and back into Circular Quay, then grab another ferry to another destination....its a lot of fun, and MUCH CHEAPER than doing a nong-government harbour ferry trip, which do not tend to stop at any particular destination. Also, by taking the daytripper ferries, you can mingle with the Aussies, and ask questions.

lomajay Jan 19th, 2006 07:25 PM

Confirming tropo's harbour cruises. don't overlook the longer than average ferry trip which departs and heads under Sydney Harbour bridge for Parramatta. You can then either return via a ferry or catch a bus back to Sydney after sight-seeing this early settlement area of Sydney.

bobdownunder Jan 19th, 2006 07:45 PM

A walk across the Harbour bridge, lunch at The Rocks, then stroll to the Opera House and Botanic Gardens.

...or a picnic supper at Lady Macquarie's Chair sipping a cold glass of Petaluma Chardonnay whilst gazing at the harbour lights

...but, if you want more excitement, go to Cronulla beach dressed in a burqa.

jcasale Jan 20th, 2006 08:26 AM

One thing that I don't want to miss in our three days in Sydney is a day trip to the Blue Mountains. I booked one with visitours.com that goes to the Wildlife Park on the way there and then has you coming back by boat down a river to the Sydney Harbor. Here is the website:
http://www.visitours.com.au/Blue%20Mountains.htm
We will also do a harbor tour (or hop on and off the ferries, not sure) and probably visit another zoo. Then just walking around the Rocks area where we are staying.

wally34949 Jan 20th, 2006 10:10 AM

I took the commuter boat to Watson Bay in Sydney. Much cheaper than the Harbour cruise and you can walk outside the boat and take great photos.

Abby43 Jan 20th, 2006 11:07 AM

Go eat at Doyle's and then take the ferry from Watsons Bay to the CBD. I agree with previous poster-great view and the food at Doyle's is very good! Definitely a Sydney institution.

Neil_Oz Jan 20th, 2006 05:31 PM

"...doing a nong-government harbour ferry trip"

Nong-government? tropo, you leave that nice Mr Howard alone.

jcasale Jan 20th, 2006 05:55 PM

Where exactly is Doyle's? Sounds like a great place to eat.

Bokhara Jan 20th, 2006 06:06 PM

There are two: One on the pier as you alight from the ferry and the other straight ahead, slightly to the left on the beach.

However, I strongly suggest that you eat at the Watsons Bay Hotel, right next to Doyles. It's more casual but the food is much, much better IMHO.

Personally, I'm so disappointed in the food at both of the Doyles - "tourist food" at inflated prices, I think.

Peteralan Jan 20th, 2006 08:08 PM

I definitely agree with Bokhara. The ferry trip out to Watsons Bay is lovely as is the view from Doyles. However the food is mediocre and overpriced. It is a lovely relaxed experience sitting in the beer garden in the Watsons Bay Hotel which is next door to Doyle's restaurant ( and like everything else on the point is owned by them anyway!). It has exactly the same view and much lower prices!

craiginowensound Jan 20th, 2006 09:08 PM

The Sydney Aquarium is the best we have ever seen. IMHO it is a must see destination. If you see Sydney Aquarium first, the aquarium at Kelly Tarlton's in Auckland will be a disappointment. Also, try to take a Sydney Opera House tour and see a production if you can get tickets (try to order ahead online).
In Auckland, visit the Auckland Museum and the surrounding Auckland Domain area, and go up the SkyTower (watch or do the amazing bungee).

johhj_au Jan 20th, 2006 11:14 PM

There is a Doyles restaurant at the western side of circular quay as well as the "traditional" set up out at watsons bay.

If you go to Watsons bay do the walk around south head to work up a thirst.

fuzzylogic Jan 21st, 2006 02:58 AM

Hi - so much to see in Sydney. On my first visit here I was stopped after getting off a ferry at Circular Quay and asked to fill in a questionnaire. It was 1998 and the city was beautifying itself in advance of the Olympics. One of the questions was - top 3 places to visit? I believe I said:

Circular Quay and the SOH.
The Botanic Gardens & Art Gallery of NSW.
Any of the walks you can do around Sydney Harbour.

I still think that. But to flesh it out a bit. Do go to a performance at the SOH if you possibly can. It doesn't much matter which space, though if it's the Concert Hall or Opera Theatre then you do get the bonus of the view from the balcony of the circle bar.

Take as many ferries as you fancy. Watsons Bay is a great trip; also Mosman - best of all if you can arrange to go over to Cremorne late in the day and then walk around to Mosman and take the ferry back to town at sunset.

The Manly ferry is fun.
The Spit to Manley walk is wonderful but takes 3-4 hours.
Bondi to Bronte (or even further to Coogee) - ditto.
The Upper Rocks and Observatory Park can be combined with a walk across the bridge and a ferry back from Milson's Point.

The Art Gallery is an eye-opener if you like pictures and know nothing about Australian art (I didn't!!).

If you are interested in the history of the place then The Musueum of Sydney is fascinating, and Hyde Park Barracks too.

So much to see.
Have a great trip.

bellini Jan 22nd, 2006 01:48 AM

Buy the day ticket for $15 which gives you all day on buses, trains and ferries and take the ferry from Circular Quay to Manley. Walk down the Corso (directly ahead as you leave the ferry terminal) Turn right at the ocean and walk along to Shelley Beach. Stop off at Le Kiosk for Moreton Bay bugs or shashimi!! Walk up to North Heads- see the isolation place where many early migrants died. There's lots of graves in the bush there.
Make sure you leave Manley just as it's going dark for a fantastic view of the city lights as you return to the city. We had some great photos but our camera was stolen on our return home so now only memories!

lorhrp Jan 22nd, 2006 10:09 PM

Fuzzylogic, will you please elaborate as to where to get the 'bonus of the view from the balcony of the circle bar' at the Concert Hall. Tried to find the area on the online seating chart but am having trouble.
I emailed the SOH but their answer didn't help me find the area of which you were speaking.
Much obliged, Loretta

johhj_au Jan 22nd, 2006 10:46 PM

Fuzzy is probably talking about the bar at the rear of the opera and concert halls....at intermission go to the rear of these halls and have a champagne whilst admirirng the view of the harbour.Its much better value than a boring opera.

Bokhara Jan 22nd, 2006 11:39 PM

And adds a lot to a wonderful Opera or a Symphony. :)

fuzzylogic Jan 23rd, 2006 02:47 AM

Yep - johhj probably describes it better. You can get there wherever you sit in the Opera Theatre - it doesn't have to be the "circle". I don't go to the Concert Hall half as much, but unless my memory is playing tricks there is a similar set up there.

So, in the major spaces you have a choice - you can walk down the steps when you leave the auditorium at the interval and go to the bar you will have passed through on your way in. But if you turn up the steps there is another bar right at the top, at the back of the building, which is harbourside. The topography is a bit of a challenge, but on one of the levels at the back there are doors out to a narrow balcony.

The view is stunning. I half wish I hadn't mentioned it because if you had found it for yourselves the shock value may have been greater. Also, I'm not sure that on my next visit I want to find it crowded!!!!! (smiley face).

But it is one of favourite places. So there you go.

PS. It's called the "Opera Theatre" and we

fuzzylogic Jan 23rd, 2006 02:51 AM

sticky keyboard again -

yes, the Opera Theatre, and we all know now that Johhj doesn't like opera.

It's also the Sydney home of the Australian Ballet but sadly they will be in Melbourne in March when you are here.

Cheers.