What not to miss in Queensland

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What not to miss in Queensland

I am going to be visitng my daughter in Queensland in early September and I plan to travel a little too.. I can only stay for 3 weeks. She is in Theodore, so I will be there for a few days but I would like to see the Outback and also the coast. I am not a resort person, I prefer less commercial places, I have a passion for History and culture and I try to travel on a tight budget, backpack where possible. Can anyone recomend places to vist that will fit in with such a short time frame. Also what is the cheapest way to get around.. Is it safe to camp with the snakes and spiders??? If anyone has experience backpacking and traveling in Queenland, would you please give some advice and recomendations. What should I not miss???
Cheers Billi
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:30 PM

Of course its OK to camp with snakes and spiders ( 20 Million Australians manage not to find them when they go camping). If your daughter is in Theodore then that is about as much "outback" as you need. North Queensland around Cairns etc is a not miss area and backpacking is looked after there very well. As you do not particularly list your likes or dislikes other than liking history and culture and Queensland is a very large area it is hard to help you further - do a google search and go onto Lonely Planet as that is more for back-packers than this site is.
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:31 PM

PS when you say you like history and culture are you talking about 60,000 year old history and culture or more about 200 Million yr old history?
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:41 PM

Given your time frame & location, you're probably going to need to hire a car to get around, unless you're staying with your daughter & will have use of her vehicle. Theodore is, as Lizzy says, about as "outback" as you'll find. So, not a lot of public transport either there or between there & the coast.
I'm sure you'll manage to dodge the snakes & spiders. Just don't pick anything up that wriggles or has more legs than you do.
A good option of economical accommodation is local pubs - and you'll get a taste of the local lifestyle at the same time.

How are you getting from your entry point to Theodore?
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info everyone.. as far as my interests.. I am studying cultural anthrapology, so I would like to be able to grasp how the country developed from the first human occupation right through to modern day...Big picture of cultural changes in otherwords . Living just 2 hours from Drumhella gives me access to all the Paleontology I need, so I can skip fossils..I was looking on Google and wondered about the Outback train rides. My daughter will only have a few days to travel with me, so most of the touring will be on my own..Dont want to rent a car becasue they drive on the " wrong side" for a Canadain, and I had a couple of close calls in the UK driving, so now I am a little gunshy..
visitng web sites for travel mostly gives "hot spots", and I hate crowds.. I am hoping to have some "hidden gems" recomended!
I will try Lonely Planet, as suggested, I built my Tanzanian trip from there and got great advice..
Thanks
Billi
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM

If you are from Alberta then the GBR and Cairns areas are a wonderful contrast and seeing you have a range of about 1,000 klms to choose from I am sure that you could find somewhere without other people. I have been to Drumhella and agree that you don't need that sort of history although what Queensland has to offer is very different from Drumhella. However while you are in the Theodore area it might be nice to get yourselves over to Carnarvon Gorge National Park if you want history - particularly that of Australian Aboriginal people. Your daughter, being in Theodore, is however much better able to check on how to get around from there than we are as she is in the region so to speak and it is a very small town.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the info .. I am debating the means of transport to Theodore..... may try the train to Emerald and ask Jo how to get to her from there. I could fly but I hate to miss a chance to take in the scenery, will probaly go out to the coast with JO as she dives and I snorkle, probably fly back to Brisbane.. Jo is there competing on the Show Jumping circuit, so I have a feeling everything she will be arranging close to her work will include horses..I work as a jumping coach and a course designer, so I will want to se SOME horses but not 7 dasy a week, that would be a "bus mans holiday" !!! I am going to ask her to arrange a trip to Carnarvon Gorge National Park, thanks for that one..

I am an arachnophobe, but I love snakes, however not in my sleeping bag thank you...I just had to ask, as my frinds are constantly teasing me about all the spiders and snakes....

I love the idea of local pubs for accomodation, beign a displaced Brit the word "PUB", has a certain appeal to it..
Cheers
Billi
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM

Well you will find little in common between the pubs of the UK and pubs in outback Queensland although that is not to say that some of them are not interesting. I always stay at Grace's Pub at Injune when going to Carnarvon Gorge but you will be on the other side. Have also stayed at an interesting and comfortable pub in Emerald but I can't remember the name of it. That is the area where you can fossic for beautiful sapphires at places called Sapphire, Rubyvale etc. If you don't fossic then at least see some of the items which are kept at some of the little mines.
I encountered more snakes in Canada in one month than in my 18 growing up years in Queensland so you will probably miss out on those. As for spiders, just don't go looking for them and you probably will not find any of those either. Its drop bears that will be a problem for you mostly out there, particularly if and when you see the Min Min lights.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:36 PM

Hi Billi, For us the most beautiful place we visited was Lizard Island in the North of Queensland.
We flew up there with www.daintreeair.com for the day.
During the flights we had extraordinary views of the great barrier reef Islands , sand cays , world heritage rainforests endless uninhabited beaches rivers and so on. From what we saw not a lot of the country was populated at all.
The reef we swam on was better than any thing else we had ever seen.
Mind you the guide knew exactly where to take us to find marine life and beautiful coral so no time was wasted trying to find things by out selves.