What not to miss: Australia ?

Jan 29th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

What not to miss: Australia ?

My husband and I are traveling to Australia in March but we only have one week. Does anyone have recommendations on what not to miss? Can anyone suggest a good tour agency with land packages for Australia?

We've never been and know very little about where to go, what to do and see. Any tips, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jan 29th, 2007, 08:35 PM

Oh, dear, only one week and in a country as large as the continental US! Where will you be landing? With only a week, I wouldn't waste a day traveling to a different location from where you come in to. If Sydney, I would base myself there and do a day trip to the Blue Mountains (do a search on this site at the top, lots on Sydney and the Blue Mountains, too.) If Melbourne, stay there and ditto the search for around there. One week is just enough time to convince you that you will come back again with a month! I recommend the AAA book on Australia (available at any bookstore, not just for members) which gives you highlights. Get hoppin', you don't have much time to plan!
Sally in Seattle
Jan 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM

Or alternatively, you could do stuff tha really reinforces the size of the country so that you will come back with more time!!

But it does depend on where you will be landing.
Jan 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM

Wow, only a week? Suggestions would have to be gauged on what you like doing. What are your interests. Where is your entry/exit location?
Feb 1st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! We'll be arriving/departing from Syndey. I know a week is not enough, but I guess one week is better than none.
Feb 1st, 2007, 02:16 PM

I agree with Sally in Seattle regarding the AAA book on Australia. To be precise, it is a "spiral guide" and is compact, yet comprehensive with much vital information and a shortage of fluff.

I also agree with her suggestion to stay in Sydney and surrounding area in NSW.

For a good tour agency with land packages, I can recommend Australia Pacific Touring <http://www.aptouring.com/>. Check them out on the web or, better yet, ask them to mail you one of their full-color brochures.

Search this Thread