Search

Sydney 4/24-5/3

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney 4/24-5/3

My daughter and I are going to be in Sydney from 4/24-5/3. This is my first time and her second. What should I expect the weather to be like then? The internet right now shows highs in the 60's to low 70's and at night to mid 50's. We are also thinking of staying at the Observatory Hotel or would like recommendations for any other 5 star hotel. Any must does would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:54 PM

Donna,<BR>I don't know whether you are aware or not but April 25 is a Public Holiday and Sydney ( &amp; all other capital cities)<BR>hold enormous gatherings of returned servicemen and women from the various Wars, who then march through the city.<BR>This might well impact on the availability of accomodation at some of the hotels, so I would not delay in making bookings.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 03:31 PM

The weather is starting to cool down. The days are shorter with sunset around 5.30pm - 6pm. You could probably expect temperatures to stay around those that you have been seeing on the internet to a tad lower with temperatures becoming cooler at night. You might also find that you could expect more rain.<BR><BR>The Observatory is very nice, as is the Park Hyatt and Quay Grand. All are located in the Rocks/Circular Quay area so are very nicely placed for good restaurants and views of the harbour and/or Opera House. Whichever you book see that your room has a view of the harbour. It is about a 10 minute stroll into the centre of town from here. There is also a train station and bus services from Circular Quay if you were wanting to venture further afield. Of course the area is very well serviced by taxis.<BR><BR>Must do's?? Well the Bridge Climb by all reports is pretty good if you are that way inclined. About 3 hours duration via stairs up and over the arch.<BR><BR>Taronga Zoo and a harbour cruise or ferry ride to Manly are good. Bondi Beach (only because it is so famous), a trip to the Blue Mountains if you have time. Perhaps catch a concert at the Opera House one evening and a trip up to the top of the Centrepoint Tower.<BR>A walking tour of the Rocks - Sydney's birthplace and still full of history.<BR><BR>There is so much to do in Sydney you won't have any trouble - whether you are into activities that involve exercise at whatever level or activities that involve eating good food and drinking good wine.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy yourself.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Danielle, It seems that you know alot about the australian weather. Would you know what it will like when I am there. I will be in sydney from May 25 through May 28th. Then on to alice springs and ayers rock from May 28th through the 31st. Then Brisbaine from May 31st through June 4th and finally Port Douglas from June 4th through June 7th. Can I expect alot of rain. Do I need a winter coat. Let me know. I was told that during the day in Sydney in late may it will be about 60-65 degrees and in the low 50's at night. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks for the info. Bruce
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 07:16 PM

Hi there Bruce, no I don't know alot about Australian weather. I just live in Sydney so have a fair idea what the temperatures are usually like. Sydney has a fairly temperate climate so it doesn't get really, really cold nor does it snow (except in the high country). Late May is very late autumn, so you can expect that the temperatures will be quite cool during the day (probably a jacket or coat - although this probably depends on the climate you're coming from) and you could probably expect more rain. This can't be guaranteed though as my parents have travelled here in July every year since I've been living here and it has been warm enough for a t.shirt and the days have been cloudless.<BR><BR>Can't help you with any of the central locations but I used to live in Brisbane and the time of year you are visiting should be almost perfect - low 20's celsius and little or no humidity. Port Douglas should definately be warmer. The rainy season in Queensland is usually summer (tropical) so you should be ok.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:40 PM

Observatory Hotel is very nice, but you must like a bit of chintz. If that is not your taste, avoid it. I know others that love the chintz and think it is the best hotel in Sydney. I do not think you will get any traditional Harbour View as it is the wrong street for that. I do not particularly like the Observatory's location - rather a dead street with little in the way of pedestrian traffic or shops in immediate area (not far to walk for it, but it is a walk). Also at night, I just remember further up the road seeing rather unpleasant loiterers around examining cars for breaking in opportunities. Of the 5 star hotels, I would place it lowest for my choice on location and given you and daughter, I personally would not go for it.<BR>My preference is for the Westin - room quality is fantastic. For harbour views, the ANA is a much cheaper option than Park Hyatt (most expensive hotel in Sydney). ANA is perched up on a hill right next to the tolls for the Harbour Bridge so a few minutes walk to everything, but you see raves about the views. Quay Grand has great location overlooking Opera House, and offers kitchen facilities. There all the toursit things are really on your door step. I do not think the look of the room is as classy as Westin, but fittings are still good and having a kitchen certainly can save costs and gives flexibility - with daughter I would be alot keener on that option than Observatory. You get nice views on to the Park next door if you want to avoid the noisier view on to the Harbour itself. (You are very close to the ferries and underneath pedestrian area can get loud). Intercon, Meridien, 4 Seasons (not a great 4 Seasons from others observations) and Sheraton on Park (very good for shopping location as near David Jones) are all good hotels and I would prefer all their locations over Observatory. Also W for different location at Woolloomooloo- but one with more life than Observatory - great if your daughter is over 16, as it is a prtty trendy place. Might see Russell Crowe in his newly bought A$14ml apartment in Finger Wharf - maybe the same complex?
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 11:46 PM

Forgot to add - check out Wotif.com - generally best choice of good rates and easy to review. Problem is that they only show 2 weeks in advance. So 24th shown tomorrow. Could book elsewhere and change if wotif comes through with better rate. ANA at moment for 23rd is A$210, Intercon (biggest discount to rack rate) A$200, Quay grand A$365 and Observatory A$295. Hyatt not shown and Westin is never on their list. I got best rate on Westin by direct contact with reception - A$295 for deluxe room.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 03:03 AM

Have a check on this site where it said they offer AUD 275 for Westin, a hotel which I want to go for in my coming Sept Australian trip. Though I never use this site to book for hotel, if you do so, please let us know if they really offer the rates they claimed for. <BR>http://www.hotelclub.net<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR>Daisy
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:18 PM

Just for your information we have just returned from a two night stay at the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney - and were very impressed with every aspect.<BR>The room was comfortable, and despite only being on the 5th floor and overlooking a busy street, was quiet.<BR>The staff could not be faulted and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay.<BR>