Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   What are the most interesting places to see in Sydney (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/what-are-the-most-interesting-places-to-see-in-sydney-189056/)

Marina Sep 12th, 2001 12:31 PM

What are the most interesting places to see in Sydney

We have only 3 days to spend in Sydney. Please recommend the "must see" places to see in this short time. Is 3 days enough to get a good flavour of Sydney.

Liz F Sep 12th, 2001 12:39 PM

No, 3 days are not enough. Stay somewhere down near Circular Quay where you can take ferry rides everywhere. If you are short of time then make sure that you take the Sydney Explorer bus which will take you to all of the points of interest and you can hop on and off at will.

sonia Sep 12th, 2001 01:11 PM

If you only have 3 days, check out the following: <BR> <BR>Circular Quay where you have the opera house and harbour bridge. <BR>AMP Tower for 360 degree views of the city <BR>Take a ferry to Manly or balmoral to see a sydney beach and also get great harbour views from the water <BR>Sydney Aquarium is great (especially if it is raining!!) <BR>The Botanical Gardens are beautiful for walks and picnics <BR>I have lived in Sydney for 6 months and I am happy still to just walk around as the city is son beautiful. You can just wander around for 3 days and have a great time!

Arthur Sep 12th, 2001 09:26 PM

Sydney in 3 days. Circular Quay. Hop on the Sydney Explorer or Bondi Explorer buses. Tour around the city. Bridgeclimb, AMP Tower, Haymarket, Bluemountains, Cruises around the harbor, Taronga Zoo, Manly, and The Rocks. There are lots of things to do. I guess pretty much sums up on all the attractions around Sydney. Enjoy! =)

Al Sep 13th, 2001 12:55 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Maritime Museum in Darling Harbour. <BR> <BR>Fabulous exhibits that give a great sense of Sydney's recent history. <BR> <BR>

martha Sep 13th, 2001 04:44 PM

Marina - <BR> <BR>I had only 2 days in Sydney, which was not enough. I would highly recommend the bridgeclimb - it was great (takes about 3 1/2 hours). Also, allow time to wander around the Opera House, gaze at the bridge, shop in the Rocks, etc. I stayed at the Intercontinental, which is very close to Circular Quay and the Opera House. I thought that was a great location and hotel. <BR>Martha <BR>

TC Sep 24th, 2001 05:54 PM

Three days in Sydney: 1. Joined Sydney Day Tours for ferry ride up river to koala/kangaroo sanctuary, lunch on board harbour cruise, visit to Olympic Village. Evening spent having dinner & attending concert at Opera House - booked in advance via Internet. 2. Water taxi to The Rocks area & city museums. 3. Sydney Aquarium before departing at noon for Adelaide. Nice overview of city.

paul Sep 25th, 2001 01:57 PM

Day 1 - Go to the Australian Museum, walk across the park and then go up the AMP Tower and then do the virtual reality ride at the bottom. Walk or monorail over to Darling Harbor and see the Maritime Museum (especially the navy ship and sub docked next door) and/or the aquarium. <BR>Day 2 - Ferry over to the zoo (if that's your thing) or Watson's Bay and back. Walk around the Rocks (see the market if its the weekend). <BR>Day 3 - Could see some other areas of Sydney (King's Cross/Darlinghurst etc.), but one of our favorite things was Featherdale Wildlife Park in Blacktown (you can drive or train/bus to get there)

BK Sep 26th, 2001 06:23 PM

Only 3 days in one of the most civilized cities in the world! I've traveled to Australia (from Boston, Massachusetts) 5 times since 1985. (Sydney, Cairns, Brisbane, Canberra, Ayers Rock, Melbourne, and Perth.) My most recent trip was in July, 1999. I've spent about 45 days total in Sydney and will go again in 2004 or 2005. <BR> I agree with the others who have recommended the Explorer and Bondi and Bay Bus rides, and Feathedale. Circular Quay, the Harbour and Opera House are busy and exhilarating. Take a tour of the Opera House and attend a performance in one of the large halls (Opera theatre or Concert Hall). Even the cheaper seats are good. Take a ferry ride around the Harbour (so beautiful), but skip any of the sailings with expensive meals....just enjoy the scenery. <BR> Take a guided walking tour of the Rocks and get some Sydney/Australian history. If you don't climb the Harbour Bridge, at least find the steps (in the Rocks) that take you to the walking path level. Great views. Climb about 200 more steps in one of the Bridge towers to the museum. <BR> The exchange rate is currently amazing, so buy some wonderful Australian made products. The shopping is great. I love the Queen Victoria Building....some shops are very pricey so I treat them as I would a museum. <BR> I would recommend a visit to the Olympic venues and a trip to Hunter Valley for wine tasting, but not if they will take you away from the city for an entire day. <BR> For sheer peace, go to the Chinese Garden, find a waterfall, and meditate on your good fortune at being in Sydney. <BR> Have a wonderful time!!!!!

Maryellen Sep 27th, 2001 09:20 PM

The PowerHouse Museum is fantastic -- Paddy's Market for the usual assortment of touristy souvenier crap is not to be missed -- Circular Key and the rocks is good for a quick wander -- then take the ferry to taronga zoo (an amazing zoo -- and the ferry takes you past all the interesting sites) <BR>THe Aquarium at Darling Harbour is fantastic -- <BR>When you get here/there -- ask an australian where to go -- they will be more than happy to reccommend the local places <BR> <BR>