What are some foods to bring back from Australia?

Jun 18th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

What are some foods to bring back from Australia?

I posted a few weeks ago for my husband who was traveling in Sydney and loved your walking suggestions. He was able to walk and take public transportation all over the city, and loved Sydney! So thank you very much!

He usually brings back interesting food souvenirs (whatever you might not be able to get in the US that travels somewhat well). He's already gotten some wine, but is looking for other suggestions. We do have access to vegemite here, which someone has already suggested. Chocolate, sweets, interesting spices? We are both foodies and this is his way of bringing a little bit of his travels home. Suggestions please! Thanks!
Jun 18th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

I should add that he is currently in Queensland, leaving Australia in about a week.
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:26 PM

He should browse through the David Jones department store's food hall and keep an eye out for native ingredients. I haven't used them myself but they seem to be attracting a dedicated following in Australia and overseas (London in particular, I think, probably as a result of the large number of Australian chefs working there).

Vegemite? I wouldn't bother, but whatever turns you on.
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:33 PM
ALF

A fun item, particularly for kids, are Cadbury Yowies (http://www.cadbury.com.au/sites/cadb....php?pageId=84). These are somewhat-egg-shaped chocolate shells that contain a tiny animal model kit. You then assemble the 5-6 pieces into an Australian animal. Some folks collect Yowie animals, and the rarer ones even fetch quite a bit from collectors.

Other interesting foodstuffs:

Tathra Beach Salad Oils & Vinegars - great-looking bottles

Pavlova Magic - packaged in a plastic bullet-shaped package, makes a classic Ozzie dessert

Nestle Milo malt chocolate beverage powder

Nestle Coffee and Milk paste - it comes out of a tube. Truly horrid-tasting (IMO), but a great souvenir.

Koala Tea - my wife likes the Organic Chai, but I like Peace Tea, with koalas holding hands around the box.

Hot As! Chili Explosive Sauce - the cap has a fuse attached. Their motto: "Not for crybabies, wimps or sooks"
Jun 18th, 2005, 05:58 PM

My husband and I are hooked on Malteasers - they're the best malted milk balls we have ever had (they come in a red and white bag and in our house, an open bag is an empty bag!)

We also like Nestle Mint Slice - mint cream and chocolate cookie (biscuit) covered in dark chocolate. Yum.

Many people also like Tam Tams - cookies that come in a variety of flavors. While in NZ last month I tried the Chilli Chocolate Fling Tim Tams - I'm not a big cookie fan, but they were pretty good.

Other items -

Cadbury Duets
Hokey Pokey (such as Cadbury's Crunchie bar).
Kangaroo jerky
Lammingtons (I'm not sure what these are, but a friend of mine loves them)

Jun 18th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Oops..

That should be Tim Tams.
Jun 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM

-Cherry Ripe candy bars
-Kookaburra licorice
-Rice Crackers
-Arnott's crackers and biscuits (including Tim Tams and Vitawheat)
-Canned Beetroot (okay you can get that get that in the US, but my goodness, they put it on every sandwich over there...even McDonald's has an burger with it)
Jun 19th, 2005, 12:36 AM

I'm with Neil, some native bush tucker ingredients - there's plenty of recipes on the net. Lemon myrtle, Davidson plum, wattleseed etc are becoming increasingly common ingredients if somewhat belatedly. Don't know where in Queensland your husband is, if its Brisbane he'll find a supplier easily enough in phone book, in Cairns you can buy a great selection at Red Ochre restaurant. Also available now in Qld supermarkets but only to a limited degree.
Jun 19th, 2005, 02:44 AM

PS - lamingtons are a sponge cake cut into bars, rolled in a cocoa or chocolate mixture then shredded coconut. They've got to be freshly made, don't think they'd travel too well.
Jun 19th, 2005, 05:20 AM

These postings have gotten my mouth watering for all those tasty Australian goodies that I hope to enjoy when I go back for a visit in August. If you love coconut, which isn't often found in American candies and cookies, have your husband bring back Cherry Ripe candy bars, Golden Rough candy bars, and Anzac biscuits. I would have also recommended lamingtons, but as one poster indicated, they would not travel well. Another fun candy you won't find in the States is Jaffas. They are like red, marble-sized M&M's but the chocolate has an orange flavor to it. Absolutely yummy!
Jun 19th, 2005, 09:40 AM

I (an American) am looking forward to trying roasted chicken flavored potato chips!
Jun 19th, 2005, 01:54 PM

Oh yeah, Anzac cookies. Don't miss buying those. Yum!

It'll be tough to decide which flavor of crackers/crisps/chips to bring home...roasted chicken, barbeque pork, etc (I'll be honest, I didn't really like them, but I HAD to try them).
Jun 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM

I am regularly sending Tim Tams to my American and Canadians friends. They love them. The double coated ones are very popular.

For children I like to send Caramello Koalas - caramel filled koala shaped chocolates.

Twisties are good too - they are like cheetos (so I've been told).

I'm getting hungry. Mac 123
Jun 20th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

My poor husband...now his list of stuff to look for is long! He did ask, though. Thanks for all the suggestions. They sound yummy, and hopefully we'll be able to try some of them!
Jun 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Kingston biscuits (cookies)
Darryl Lee soft Licorice
Cherry Ripe choc bars & golden roughs
Caramello Koalas
Heinz baked beans
Minties
1 of each of the flavors of potato chips you can't get in the US!
I could go on for ages as this post has really made my mouthwater for some Oz treats!
Happy eating!
J