Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Western Australia/Tasmania - to go or not to go? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/western-australia-tasmania-to-go-or-not-to-go-395720/)

goingtomiami Feb 5th, 2004 11:47 AM

Western Australia/Tasmania - to go or not to go?

I have visited Australia a few times. I have been to Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Canberra, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs and Ayers Rock. I will definately go back to Sydney later this year or early next year. I am debating if I should go to Western Australia and Tasmania? Are the sights in Western Australia and Tasmania worth seeing or are they just more of the same? I would apprecaite info from fodorites who have visited these two Australian states. Thank you.

lizF Feb 5th, 2004 02:44 PM

no, the sites in both W.A and Tasmania are the same as they have always been.

Judy_in_Calgary Feb 5th, 2004 03:05 PM

Hello Goingtomiami,

I know you're hoping to hear from people who know Tasmania and WA, and I am not such a person. However, I have a friend who has lived in Tassie, and my husband has been to Perth many times. I've heard glowing reports of both Tassie and WA. My husband loves Perth.

As someone who has been to Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, I am one of those who has Tassie and WA on her wish list for future trips to Australia.

Pumblechook Feb 5th, 2004 04:33 PM

Hi goingtomiami,

This all comes down to personal preference of course, so here's mine:

The south-west of WA is worth a visit. If you've got the time and like driving, a really good trip is Kalgoorlie-Esperance-Albany-Perth. It will take you a minimum of a week, up to 2 weeks depending on where you stop and for how long. In my opinion there's not much to see north of Perth, especially if you've already done the outback to Alice and Uluru. Perth itself is a very pretty city. If you like water activities it's a great place to visit - magnificent beaches to minutes from the CBD.

As for Tassie, a lot of people love it for its untouched forests, hiking etc but that's not my cup of tea. To me, it's too bloody cold down there.

alice13 Feb 6th, 2004 06:49 AM

Not much to see North of Perth? This has to be a wind-up. But then it depends what you meam by "much , see". No 5 star accomm options as far as I am aware on the 4000 km trek from Perth to Darwin, and NOTHING at all to see from Port Hedland to Broome. But lots to see on the way if you are so minded. Kalbarri, Shark Bay, Exmouth, Broome, Gibb River Road, Lithfield NPTkmeeoomeek

leniram Feb 6th, 2004 06:50 AM

i just came back from my trip in Western Australia. Stayed in Perth and Fremantle.
I luv Perth coz:
1. Clean and green city with less graffiti.
2. Public transport is no problem. They have free buses around CBD as well as in Fremantle.
3. Perthians are warm and friendly.
4. Perfect homebase for many side trips
or tours:
a. Wave Rock in Hyden. It rocks! Surf the net regarding this rock. Its kewl.
b. Rottnest Island where u can find
cute quokkas. You can find them only in this island.
c. Monkey Mia where u can swim with dolphins
5. Place for bicycle enthusiasts esp in
Kings park and Rottnest island.
6. Food is Great!!! I recommend the smorgasbord breakfast in Ms. Maud's Hotel and "fried chicken" steak in Aarons Hotel.
7. Wildflowers r abound but on certain season. They have unique flowers like the Kangaroo paw.

I hope you dont miss out this wonderful state.

alice13 Feb 6th, 2004 06:55 AM

apols for previous unfinished msg.
Crazy computer!! Will have to correct later.

vegiemite Feb 6th, 2004 09:39 AM

Well if you haven't heard of the "Kimberley" then u haven't been to Australia. I am an Australian(melbourne) and have travelled alot in Australia (Great barrier reef, Ayres Rock, Kakadu, Arnhem land and the Kimbereleys two years ago).
The Kimbereley is a region in Western Australia (the top north end). It starts from Broome and goes to Kununurra. If you are into outback travel (budget or first class) or want to meet real australians (not us from the east coast). This is the place to go. U can just stay in Broome and do day trips, or even better start from Broome and go on the "Gibb river" road to Kunnunurra then onto Darwin.

It is an open air museum- lots of rock pools, waterfalls, caves, aborginal paintings, crocodiles,etc..or you can go on the coast route from broome. All I can say is u won't find a concrete jungle up there and u come back relax and layed back. I am going back:)

A good portal for Australia is seeaustralia.com.au and for the kimberley is kimberleytourism.com.
Also buy the lonely planet "outback Australia" book.

We went upmarket with kimberley adventure tours-who goes to mitchell plateau and did a helicpter ride:)

alice13 Feb 6th, 2004 05:14 PM

WA is fabulous. Other folk have listed specific places. You just have to be aware that the distances between the "highlights" are enormous. Gibb River Road one of the best journeys I've ever made. You need a 4WD to do it independently and never between Dec and March (rain often closes road).

As for Tasmania - stunning - quite a different experience from outback WA. Small enough to comfortably tour and lots of B&bs to stay at. There's Cradle Mt NP with mts and lakes; Mt Field NP for rainforest; Freycinet NP for the justly famous Wineglass Bay; Port Arthur and Maria Island (E Coast) or Sara Is (W coast) for early convict history. Hobart has a lively waterfront and market. Love them all. These are just the well-known places. There are plenty of others worth seeing.

There is also the new ferry service from Sydney (Spirit of Tasmania III) if you fancy something a little different.

Hope this helps.

JET Feb 6th, 2004 08:19 PM

ok so I am biased as Perth is my home city but to my mind it would be well worth the trip. Out of all the cities I have been to it is one with an amazing 'laid back' attitude. Sites out of Perth are great too - but others have mentioned them. Rottnest is well worth a visit (however don't go there expecting a five star resort!!).

The beaches are some of the best as well. Do be aware as others have mentioned about travelling time between sites, particularly north of Perth - Exmouth, Broome etc. Down south there is less time between some of the towns - some beautiful countryside and wineries if that is your thing.

ok enough from me.