Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page > west coast vs mt cook/dunedin/akaroa area in october
Notices

west coast vs mt cook/dunedin/akaroa area in october

Jul 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

west coast vs mt cook/dunedin/akaroa area in october

Hello,
I'll be traveling to the south island, New Zealand in October and want to know if I should plan to visit the west coast or moreso the Mt. Cook/Dundedin/Akaroa area. I'll be including Queenstown/Milford Sound in both itineraries. I've read that New Zealand is predicted to have an El Nino type of effect in the spring, which means winds continuing to blow in from the south west. I know overall, that the west coast tends to be a bit more rainy, but I believe that the west coast is more spectacular in terms of scenery. I don't think it would be too much fun, however, if there was substantial rainy wet weather. What type of weather does the Mt Cook area or Dunedin get around that time of year? I just wanted to see if Mt Cook was a bit drier before I book hotels and choose some activities. Since I'll only be there one week, I like to have things booked so I don't have to worry, so once I make an itinerary, I'll be sticking to it for the most part. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
Jul 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM

Throw a dice.

If it is El Nino, the east coast should be drier then normal, and the west coast should be wetter then normal.

Mt Cook should be a bit drier, but the rain can sneak across the alps at times so might get a bit more rain then towards the coast. But if its raining at Mt Cook it would be pouring on the west coast.
Jul 29th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have a copy of the Ken Ring's Predict Weather New Zealand for 2012? If so, would you kindly be able to share what the weather is predicted to be for the west coast of the south island for October 1-7, as well as for Mt. Cook area for the same dates. Thank you

Search this Thread