Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Wedding settings in New Zealand (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/wedding-settings-in-new-zealand-190711/)

Leslie Apr 2nd, 2002 08:16 PM

Wedding settings in New Zealand

Hi everyone!<BR>I've been reading all the posts on New Zealand and have gained a lot of knowledge but I still have questions.<BR><BR>My son has decided to get married in New Zealand (January 2003) and I'm trying to help gather information for him. There will probably be about 12 of us flying from Chicago. They have pretty much decided on the South Island and were looking to have an outdoor wedding ceremony. Any ideas where a spectacular setting for this could be? Are there any accessible waterfalls to hold a ceremony at? Can you recommend any places to hold a reception?<BR><BR>Also, are there any luxury hotels in the South Island? How about condos? I'm guessing we will stay in Queenstown or Christchurch. <BR><BR>I appreciate your help!

Richard Apr 3rd, 2002 08:11 AM

When my wife and I were on our South Island jaunt in 2000 we noticed that wedding photographs were being taken at the Purakaunui Falls. At the time I thought, what a great backdrop for wedding photographs. There is a short scenic, 15 minute walk, from the road, to get to these falls. This walk is not difficult and it appeared to be handled without much difficulty by the wedding party. The Purakaunui Falls are located in the Catlins, on the the Southern Scenic Route. The Catlins are south of Dunedin and there are many attractions in this wonderful area of the South Island. <BR>I have a travelogue on file plus photographs; if these would help let me know by email.

Kerry Apr 4th, 2002 12:21 AM

Hi Leslie<BR>Great to hear that your son plans to get married in NZ. There are a number of great locations especially with a water theme. 12 will be an easy number to work with and will certainly fit a lot of accommodation.<BR><BR>In the North island if you are looking water falls and accommodation Tongariro National Park and the Grand Chateau comes to mind. There you have a wonderful location for a wedding reception and a number of falls. We recently went to wedding there and can send you photos of both the falls and the Chateau. See www.chateau.co.nz<BR><BR>Last week we went to an outdoor wedding at a property right on the water in the Bay of Plenty, North Island. The luxury lodge has a wedding site www.small-intimate-weddings.co.nz and can take parties up to 12 people.<BR>In the South Island Blanket Bay, Queenstown would be one of the top, and most expensive, water locations.<BR>Christchurch is situated on the Canterbury plains - so not too many waterfalls in the vicinity. <BR>Wanaka is another South island option with the Edgewater Hotel and the Aspiring National Park.<BR>Happy to be of any further assistance.<BR>Kerry

Leslie Apr 5th, 2002 06:13 AM

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions! There are just so many places that sound beautiful. I'll be spending a lot of time researching these settings. Thanks again.

John Boddy Apr 19th, 2002 02:25 PM

Hi Leslie,Greetings from The Pillars in Taupo.We believe we have the ideal site for your sons wedding.We have luxury accommodation and wedding venue.There are 4 ensuited bedrooms and we have facilities for a sit down wedding breakfast for 60 people inside or as many as you like outside.There are 3 acres of parklike grounds,tennis court and swimming pool.Additional guests can be accommodated in many venues in Taupo.We can make all the arrangments you require.The Pillars is very private and your party would be the only ones here.We can be seen at www.pillarshomestay.co.nz Looking forward to hearing from you.Cheers John.

erik May 17th, 2002 10:13 AM

I just got married in New Zealand in December and we had the party in Christchurch. If I had the choice I would go to Queens Town but my wifes Family lives in Christchurch so it was easier to do it there. Christchurch is a large city but Queens Town is a winter and summer resort set in the mountains on a lake. It is the Sister city to Aspen Colorado and has tons of things to do. There are a number of hotels in Queens Town that would easily accomidate your needs and the lake is amazing place to have a wedding.look at this site below if you have any questions. The Lady who runs the company is from New Zealand and grew up in Queens Town. www.nzadventureco.com

John May 18th, 2002 04:28 AM

Leslie:<BR>My vote is for Queenstown. Lake Wakitipu would be a gorgeous background as would be the Remarkables. Lake Wanaka (about an hour from Queenstown) would be another though it has no luxury hotels.<BR>When in Christchurch, visit the Botanical Gardens. Don't know if they allow weddings there. Lots of luxury hotels in CHC. Come to think of it the Avon river in CHC would be a lovely backdrop.<BR>John

Leslie May 20th, 2002 09:11 AM

Thanks for everyone's help. I think they've decided on Lake Tekapo at the Church of the Good Shepherd. We'll probably drive on to Mount Cook after the ceremony and stay at the Hermitage Resort and have a small dinner reception there. Does anyone know how far a drive it is? Any comments on the Hermitage?

Val May 29th, 2002 04:05 PM

Although I live in NZ and have been to the South Island I have not been to The Hermitage however a very good friend, who is extremely well travelled took an overseas visitor to the South Island in March 02 and they stayed at The Hermitage. They dined in the "fine" dining room and found the service to be sadly lacking - sloppy and unprofessional. It was expensive and not worth the money. It is about 100kms from Lake Tekapo to Mt Cook. I think I would pass on this idea.

sonia Jun 2nd, 2002 02:25 PM

Hi<BR><BR>I agree with the above about the hermotage - it is overpriced and have also heard less than complimentary things about it - they have no competition so dont need to bother with high standards...<BR><BR>My reccomendation would be Lake Wanaka or lake Hawea or Lake Wakatipu (queenstown)...there is an outstanding resort near Queenstown called Blanket Bay - our neighbours have just returned from there and found it just perfect. It is expensive though...they have a website so check them out...<BR><BR>check out this site http://www.lodgesofnz.co.nz/lodges.htm<BR><BR>which has info on 23 of the best places to stay in NZ<BR><BR>feel free to email me of you want more info...<BR><BR>sonia

Leslie Jun 2nd, 2002 05:05 PM

Hi all,<BR>Thanks for the great suggestions. We spoke to a wedding planner the other night and she said the Hermitage is under renovation and will be completed in August, I believe. They have redone some rooms as well as the public areas. I found a website that stated that too. I'll probably check back around September on the board and see if anyone's seen it redone.<BR>Appreciate the help. This board is wonderfully helpful.<BR>Now I would like to research some reasonably priced accommodations in Christchurch. Something within a couple blocks of of Cathedral Square. Any suggestions on that?

erik Jun 4th, 2002 08:31 AM

Hello,<BR><BR>My wifes family is from Christchurch and I would not limit your self to just around Cathedral Square. It is a small, friendly, and easy to navigate city so that you will never be too far from anything. Not to be negative but the cathedral sqaure area is like the Times sqaure area of Christchurch. It has alot of tourist info shops, fast food and typical downtown modern city shoping malls which you can get any where.

Nikki Jun 4th, 2002 03:25 PM

Hi Leslie<BR><BR>We were in the South Island in March of this year (it's really lovely) and also in Christchurch. We stayed at the Rydges and it was fine - good service - comfortable room and bed - excellent rate. I could also recommend the Parkroyal - more expensive but had a little more activity.<BR>We also had a truly great time in Queenstown - the people are so nice - try to take a cruise on the older steamer.<BR>I know you'll have a marvelous time.

Leslie Jun 5th, 2002 12:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I found a rate at the Millenium for NZ $149 and the Rydges for NZ $141.

Leslie Jun 5th, 2002 12:45 PM

Ooops forgot to add the Heritage Hotel for NZ $149