Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   weather, food and stingers (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/weather-food-and-stingers-572952/)

nonstoptraveler Nov 26th, 2005 06:15 PM

weather, food and stingers

We will be in PD from Jan 1 - Jan 7, Is the weather warm/hot and is there humidity? I also understand that there are "stingers" (jellyfish), how do you snorkel if there are stingers? How can you avoid or protect yourself?
What does "Modern Australian" dining?

Cheryl from California

Neil_Oz Nov 26th, 2005 06:54 PM

Cheryl, I'll let the experts advise on weather and stingers, although there are quite a few previous threads on both subjects if you try the search box above.

Modern Australian ("Mod-Oz") cuisine is a sort of cousin of Californian "fusion". It draws on both European (mainly Italian) and South-east Asian (eg Thai) styles and ingredients with a leaning towards lighter and fresher styles. Some chefs may also play with native Australian ingredients (often described by the Aboriginal term "bush tucker"). If you like seafood you'll be laughing.

pat_woolford Nov 26th, 2005 08:24 PM

Yes Cheryl, Port Douglas is in Northern tropical Australia and January is summer, the hottest month of the year all over the country. Expect daily temps of 74F-90F as well as humidity from monsoonal weather systems.

Neil has admirably described "ModOz", cuisine, of which there is plenty in PD.

There's plenty of information on jellyfish, both box and irukandji on this forum if you do a search.

nonstoptraveler Nov 27th, 2005 09:17 AM

Thank you for the information. However, I've been reading on areas that have a stinger protection for swimming? Is it netted? It would seem that it may not be totally fail safe?

Being a fan of Steve Irwins, does he really own the Australian Zoo in Queensland? I'm not sure if that's the correct name? I would love to see the Zoo. How far from PD?

Thanks Again

mpoll Nov 27th, 2005 12:43 PM

Yes, Port Douglas Beach has a netted swimming enclosure. Also, I think the stingers are only along the coast, so out on the Reef you should be OK.

Sunbird Nov 27th, 2005 01:31 PM

Steve Irwin does own the zoo but it is on the Sunshine Coast which is about 1250 miles to the south of Port Douglas!

One of the best wildlife attractions will be on your doorstep - Rainforest Habitat is just outside PD and there you will see not only crocodiles but many of our native species - kangaroos, koalas, emus, etc. plus hundreds of tropical birds flying, feeding and nesting freely.

About half an hour north of PD is Daintree Mangroves Wildlife Sanctuary and they also have crocodiles, dingoes, cassowaries and a large range of other birds.

Have fun!

pat_woolford Nov 27th, 2005 03:04 PM

Yes, Daintree Mangrove Sanctuary has a fantastic range of Australian birds, cockatoos and finches in particular, as well as other native creatures mentioned by Sunbird.

Crocodiles live in the wild in Far North Queensland, you'll probably be able to spot them on Daintree River, although at that time of year they often stay below water. Steve Irwin's zoo in Beerwah is far from any wild crocodile habitat. Another one close to Port Douglas is Hartley's Creek, where they have a type of croc feeding "show".

There is a stinger net on 4 mile Beach at Port Douglas, for the reef be guided by your tour operator as to need of wearing a stinger suit - you can hire them on board for about $5. Whilst its generally accepted that stingers don't travel as far as the reef, there have been a few exceptions lately.

Lizzy101 Nov 27th, 2005 09:03 PM

I second Pat's comments re stinger suits - apart from offering protection from the jelly nasties they also provide sun protection. Although at that time of year there may be cloud cover during the day, the sun is fierce in FNQ. It will be humid and possibly rainy at times - but all part of the beautiful tropical experience!

viking Nov 27th, 2005 11:16 PM

What about the tiny Irukandji jellyfish, which seems scarier than even box jellyfish? Not so common, but covers a wider area there and can slip between the holes in the nets: http://goaustralia.about.com/cs/prac.../irukandji.htm

pat_woolford Nov 28th, 2005 02:36 AM

Viking, no, irukandjis are not worse than box jelly fish. No jelly fish is. Yes, irukandjis can slip through the holes in stinger nets which are designed to keep box jelly fish out, but beaches with nets and life guard patrols are checked daily for stingers, both box and irukandji - if there's any evidence beaches are closed, stinger net or not. Beaches are also often closed in summer due to crocodiles, a stinger net won't stop them.

But 2 million tourists visit the Great Barrier Reef every year, there's been 65 deaths attributed to box jelly fish in the last 100 years or so (many more have died from bee stings), two deaths in recent years have been attributed to irukandji sting and both victims had previous heart conditions.

Not trying to make light of it but have snorkelled on GBR for 12 years now, never had a problem and I don't wear a stinger suit.