Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Water Bungalow in the South Pacific which one would you reccomend ?

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I am planning a south pacific vacation and I would like to know from fodors members which over the water bungalow you would reccomend to stay in the South Pacific and how much the going rate is in season per night. I was looking at Bora Bora Tahiti and Aitutuki Cook Islands

Please list the specific place and in what country.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 07:57 AM

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri...ropertyID=1905

The Le Meridien has very large glass floor which is marvelous.

Frankly - BORA BORA isn't the place as it used to be. Too many OW have destroyed the lagoon! It has totally lost its former beauty!
Also SAS cruise ships ruin the vista. 24/7 one of those 3* monsterships are ankering within the lagoon spitting out 3000+ pax who invade the island.

I would rather go to MANIHI and stay at the OW bongalow at Pearl Beach Resort.

Aitutaki OPX bungalows are nice. The lagoon is as beautiful as BORA BORA used to be.

Happy Planning.

PS: Here you can find most of the venues:

http://www.overwater-bungalows.com/main.php
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alot for all your info. I did hear that French Polynesia was getting to commercial these days but I did hear from someone who went a few years ago about the see through floor but did not know it was Le Meridien. That is where they stayed and they loved it but did say that the area was getting to touristy. This is why I was wondering about the Cook Islands and you indeed did suggest that area also.
Thanks again.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi
I need one more reccomendation please ???
I am a city person who also loves the ocean and snorkels and loves all kinds of boats.
I will be planning a big birthday trip to the South Pacific with a great friend. This trip is from the east coast of the Usa so it will probably be the only time I will get to the South Pacific.
It will be a 2 week trip.
3-4 days defintely in Sydney Australia.

Should I spend the 2nd week relaxing at a over the water bungalow in Aitutuki Cook Islands Or Bora Bora at Le Meridien
OR
the second week at the Great Barrier Reef snorkeling and seeing the rainforest?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:23 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/aust...rrier-reef.cfm

I would love to have your problem.....choosing one of my most fav destinations. ;-)

Old Oct 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM

Kappy
Don't mix it up - in Bora Bora and much of French Polynesia nowadays most of the up-market resorts offer OW bungalows. So it's not a necessity it has been the Le Meridien.

I am sure you have had a look at the OW bungalow link.

Happy planning!

Old Oct 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM

I hope you visit Bora Bora, even with the added resorts on the outer Motus (small inlet islands) it is still spectacular and the waters are unbelievable. We started going in 1985 and every 5 years we return and still leave in a state of bliss. Recommendations could go from The Bora Bora Nui Resort (now a Hilton property-was a Sheraton property) to the over the top but grande St. Regis, I would have recommended The Hotel Bora Bora but not sure it is open at this time.
Since you have two weeks, that would be too much time on this small island. Driving a small car only takes 40 minutes to get around and you might get bored. You could add Moorea and have fun, add Riata and relax take a ride through their waterway or jump over to Huahine which is still so laid back you get the feel of real Tahiti.
The main island of Tahiti is very commercial just like any other main town so you want to get in and then off to the islands.
Bora Bora Hotels-
St. Regis-spectacular rooms -great view of
the island of Bora Bora
Bora Bora Nui Resort-beautiful suites
Tahitian Style-great property-movie night

Hotel Bora Bora if it is open (1st choice)
Moorea Hotels Hilton Moorea Lagoon used to be my
favorite when it was a Sheraton 2 years ago
from what management says, it has not
changed anything but the name.
Sofitel-Moorea-great rooms, great beach and
you look over to Tahiti from the resort.
Moorea Resturants: Mayflower one of the best

We hope you enjoy your trip and love to hear about your adventures when you get back!
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great info.
I think it will be 4-5 days in Sydney as we like the city and 5 days in the Cook Islands at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort at the over the water bungalows for 5 days.
I chose the Cook Islands as it is less touristy than Bora Bora. I have snorkled at Coral Reefs in the Carribean so I have decided to try something more romantic and exotic staying at the over the water bungalows.
I am sure I will see Great Barrier Reef from the air as it is the largest in the world and I understand why the Islands there are so beautiful as many of you have stated.
When I return from my trip I will give a report.
Thanks again
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Hi all
After much investigation Aitutaki Cook Islands even though they are beautiful they are out do to transportation issues. Only one sunday flight directly from Los Angeles Ca. to Rarotonga Cook Islands. If not that flight then you need to go to Auckland NZ and then back track. We already have enough airtime planned for this trip. We have decided to go to Bora Bora 3-4 days at one of the over the water bungalows( Le Meridien Bora Bora) is our first choice and 2-3 days in Sydney.
We are still in the planning stage for a trip in May 2012.

1. If anyone has a better Bora Bora place to stay please let me know?
2. Do people generally stay 3 4 or 5 days?? What is reasonable?
Thanks in advance.

I will give a travel report after the trip.