Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Whch French Polynesian islands and when?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to go to French Polynesia next year and are open to advice as to where to stay and which islands. We are flexible about dates so would like to know when it is best to go - warm but lowest humidity.

We want to island hop rather than go on a cruise. Probably 4 islands including a couple of nights on Papeete. Recommendations welcomed.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
ALF

Society Islands:

Moorea - Easy to ferry over to from Tahiti. Much less-developed, scenic, and laid-back than Tahiti. Wide range of accommodation choices.

Bora Bora - Classic motu-ringed island. Very scenic. spectacular lagoon. Over-developed in places, due to lack of flat ground (everything is located along a narrow coastal ring). Costly accommodations (even for FP!).

Tahaa & Raiatea - Neighboring islands enclosed in the same lagoon. Much more laid-back and relaxed, compared to other Society Islands. Remote and harder to access. Narrower selection of accommodations.

Tuamotu Islands:

Rangiroa - 2nd largest atoll in the world, with giant lagoon. Quite remote, access to some motus only by boat. Spectacular diving.

The drier season is from April to October. Days are a little less humid and there is substantially less rain, compared to the rest of the year.

In terms of where to stay, that depends on what you are looking for. I can't help you much with 4-5 star hotels, but if you are looking for mid-range hotels and pensions, I could tell you about a few.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

We will now probably spend 12 or 14 nights so to minimise packing/unpacking which is why we originally looked at a cruise, but went off the idea as we want to enjoy staying on the islands.

Having looked again at the forum we like the idea of going straight to Moorea for 4 nights, Bora Bora for 4 nights and Huahine for 4 nights before returning to Papeete for 2 nights.

When we went to the Cook Islands some years back we stayed in a low key hotel - single storey with a basic cooking facilities, fridge, etc. on the ocean and with a small swimming pool and bar. This seems similar to some of the pensions in French Polynesia, so any recommendations would be great.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Well, bring bags of money as Tahiti and her outer islands are VERY expensive, believe me I just transited there twice and last year also.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathy. We realise that Tahiti and French Polynesia is much more expensive than the Cook Islands, but at the same time we are not into 5* manicured resort hotels when we are on holiday.

For us the main cost will be the flights - we are hoping to get a deal on business class or we will use Virgin Atlanic Premium Economy to LA and economy from there.
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 12:25 PM

You will love FP! We have been twice and loved both of our trips. Bora Bora and Moorea are probably the most well known combo for a first time trip. Definitely don't miss Bora Bora- the lagoon is outstanding and the views of Mt Otemanu are so amazing. Moorea is great too- much more island activities there. We also loved Taha'a- the water was stunning there we stayed on the resort (Le Taha'a) the whole time.

I have heard nothing but great things about Huahine (it is supposed to be much more polynesian) and we have it on our list for our next trip.

Sounds like you have a great plan with Moorea, Bora Bora and Huahine. We have been twice in July and the weather has been great.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM

Huahine is not very touristy, with not many hotels, tourists, or souvenir shops, especially when compared to Moorea or Papeete. It's a lovely island with good snorkeling and diving, and a pearl farm you can visit.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Travcarib and Diamantina for your comments. We are almost tempted to drop Bora Bora for Taha'a. May sound crazy but we were disappointed with Maui last year as we found it too touristy and I fear that Bora Bora could be the same.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:18 AM

Will be interested to know your final choice of accommodation if you are not into 5 star as Papeete for example seems to be mostly comprised of 5 star. Have a nice time.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM

I have been to Bora Bora 3 times: the latest one was the last year. Bora Bora still remains a stunning destination, much more so than Maui (I have been there 3 times also.)

Over the years, Bora Bora has changed to cater to two major groups of visitors: the honeymooners and the cruise passengers. The latter affect mostly Vaitape and the vicinity while the predominance of the former at resorts encourage delivery of honeymoon oriented services-- memorable but priced to take advantage of those "price is largely not an issue" weeks of their life.