Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Virgin Blue v. Qantas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/virgin-blue-v-qantas-373870/)

michaelm Nov 4th, 2003 12:32 PM

Virgin Blue v. Qantas?

I am probably going to book some flights in Australia on Virgin Blue. Is there any reason I should fly Qantas instead? Virgin Blue seems to have more flights and to be more reasonably priced....

Alan Nov 4th, 2003 02:10 PM

Hi, michaelm!
The two airlines are comparable on service and convenience, and the only real difference is price. While occasionally Qantas will come out with a special which will make the Virgin pricing department gasp, most of the time it's the other way around, and it's Qantas that is doing the gasping.

SusanInToronto Nov 4th, 2003 04:39 PM

I booked 3 flights for April. Qantas was definitely cheaper for one of the flights, while VB was cheaper for the other. I think the third flight I went with Qantas which was a little more expensive, but the flight time was better.

Janese Nov 4th, 2003 08:53 PM

VB has far less flights than Qantas and to far less distinations. VB is a no frills airline that will charge you excess baggage at the drop of a hat and it has 30 more seats on a 737 which should tell you how squishy it is.
I don't like VB - I find their " we are a spunky crew" to be a tad sickening and I just hate having to pay for a cup of coffee when they are always late on the run that I do mostly.
I have stopped using them because the last time I did we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours and then had to pay for drinks!

grootegirl Nov 7th, 2003 02:47 PM

As a local, I'd like to say that Virgin Blue and Qantas are pretty much the same. The prices are comparible and so is the service. Both of these airlines have special deals coming out all of the time, so I would just keep my eyes open and try looking on both websites because their internet deals are always slightly cheaper.

Chris7 Nov 9th, 2003 12:27 AM

Well I'd say go with whichever is the cheaper! I have flown with Virgin Blue and Qantas many times (and will be doing so next week with Virgin Blue) I have been a Qantas Frequent Flyer member, but I have not been amused with Qantas' service and prices. Sure the Virgin Blue is marketed to the young-ish crowd but you know what, they are much friendler (this is only based on everytime I have flown with each of these airlines)...and everytime their prices have been cheaper. Qantas does have more flights. If your just looking at getting from A to B then I'd say go with Virgin if they're cheaper.

Most of all, enjoy your holiday!

JamesA Nov 11th, 2003 05:26 AM

I much prefer Virgin Blue, I don't mind paying for a cup of cofee or a snack when the so called 'food' you get on Wantas is loussy. The food available to buy on Virgin is in my opinion better and more though out than what you get on Wantas. On price, you have to check both! Sometines Virgin is better other times it can be Qantas. I used to hate to have to fly Qantas anywhere as although a reliable an efficient airline their Cabin Crew severely lacked friendliness. In fact on many flights the Crew were downright 'rude', rarely to me ( I tend to sit down and shut-up ) but to other passengers.
Ironic that Qantas kept their High fares until Virgin Blue came along!
If the fare I find is the same on both I would choose Virgin any day!

JamesA Nov 11th, 2003 05:27 AM

Sorry..got my W's and Q's mixed up!