Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Victoria : Phillip Island to Apollo Bay/GOR (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/victoria-phillip-island-to-apollo-bay-gor-476680/)

biman Sep 26th, 2004 07:45 AM

Victoria : Phillip Island to Apollo Bay/GOR

Need advise. We want to go to Apollo Bay from Phillips Island. How much does time it take ? Should we take the ferry across Sorrento/Queenscliff or drive up along Port Phillip Bay/Princess Highway and then take GOR? we want to drive along some part of GOR. But doesn't want to be too long a drive.

ishki Sep 26th, 2004 11:20 PM

I would definitely drive to Sorrento, which should take about an hour from Phillip Island, take the car ferry to Queenscliff, about 40 minutes, then drive via Torquay and on to Apollo Bay. Sorrento and Queenscliff are charming old towns with lots of old buildings, trendy cafes, etc. and I think the drive from Queenscliff to Apollo Bay would take about 2 hours, but it is 2 hours well spent IMO. This route is, I think, preferable to driving back to Melbourne and to Geelong and then to Torquay. The scenery is not as nice and there aren't any towns like Sorrento or Queenscliff driving that way. Where are you staying in Apollo Bay, because if you are going to drive back in the one day, although it is possible, it will be very tiring for you. There are lots of lovely B&Bs and places to stay in Apollo Bay, and some great restaurants too.

maryk Sep 27th, 2004 12:46 AM

Definitely take the ferry. Not only is it a wonderful experience with great views of the entrance to Port Phillip - one of the most difficult and treacherous sections of water into a port in the world - but it will save you a VERY long and boring drive on all highways to Geelong. Both Sorrento and particularly Queenscliff are interesting and worth at least a brief stop for coffee and a walk. If you have time a walk through the historic Quarantine station /national park to the lighthouse on the Sorrento side is also a great side-trip.

biman Sep 27th, 2004 04:33 AM

Ishki and Maryk - thanks to both of you for your tips. We definitely want to spend a night in Apollo Bay - any suggestion on good B&Bs? How easy is it to drive on GOR? Next day we want to visit Twelve Aposltes and get onto inland road (Princes HWy) and get back to Melbourne quickly. is there any connection between GOR and Prince HWY which we can take ? How much time we would take to do that ? Thanks

shandy Sep 27th, 2004 07:05 AM

As the previous posters mentioned. The ferry across to Queenscliff is definitely the way to go. If you are lucky you may even spot a few dolphins. They quite like playing around the ferry. From Queenscliff it will take the better part of an hour to get to Anglesea where the GOR really starts. From Anglesea I would allow at least an hour and half to get to Apollo Bay. This is not allowing for any stops, so remember to factor this in. The road is extremely windy and so you will not make good time. I would suggest only allowing about an average of 50 kph. You always end up getting stuck behind a slow driver and often a large campervan or car and caravan. If you are finding that the day is getting away from you a bit, especialy if you lingered over a nice lunch in Queenscliff, Lorne might be a better place to stop the first night. Lorne/Apollo Bay through to Warrnambool or Port Fairy the next day will leave you tons of time for sight seeing. Take time out to to up to Beech Forest and do the Otway Fly. Turn off is at Lavers Hill, a bit past Apollo Bay. From Warrnambool it will take you about 4 hours to drive back to Melbourne so you have plenty of time to potter around the two towns. You can pick up the Princes Highway at Warrnambool. If you have to get back to Melbourne that night, do not do the Otway Fly as it is too time consuming. I would drive along the GOR as far as Peterborough which will allow you to see all the major sites and then backtrack a little bit to Port Campbell. At Port Campbell you will see road signs to Camperdown and Colac (the C164). If you drive to either of these towns you will end up on the Princes Highway. It will take you about 3 hours to get back to Melbourne. Check out these sites for Bed and Breakfasts. www.roomwithaview.com.au
www.captains.net.au
www.chocolategannets.com.au (has good views)
If you are intending to travel during December or January you need to have your accommodation booked beforehand as this is their peak time.

ishki Sep 29th, 2004 04:20 PM

Shandy has got the moves. I would just like to suggest another place in Apollo Bay if you can't get in to Chocolate Gannets - which looks beautiful and is next on my to-stay-at list at Apollo Bay. It is Rayville Boat Houses - www.rayville.com.au - not much in the way of views, but very nice nonetheless.