Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   uluru and Kata Tjuta? (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/uluru-and-kata-tjuta-884390/)

met19 Mar 30th, 2011 03:18 AM

uluru and Kata Tjuta?

Was def thinking of going next weekend to uluru for one night- fly in do sunset tour, look at the sky, wake early do a sunrise tour and liru walk (i was going to use aborigine tour company). Heard some say Kata Tjuta's are better than uluru. so my thoughts:

either replace pm sunset view with Kata Tjuta or add a day on as I have not bought my tickets yet. Also any suggestions for tours- as i did not yet book.

was not planning on sounds of silence.

RalphR Mar 30th, 2011 03:32 AM

Definitely add a day..Kata Tjuta is quite different and at least as beautiful as Uluru. The Valley of the Winds walk is spectacular, the best in the area, in my opinion.

peterSale Mar 30th, 2011 02:42 PM

Do both for sure.

peterSale Mar 30th, 2011 07:23 PM

Be sure to do both walks at the Olgas.

Leave enough time (min 2 hours) to climb Ayers Rock, if it is open. It is well worth it and one of the best things you will ever do.

Also go to to the Information Centre in the Resort as it has great exhibits of animals and plants and a good description of the geology. It has general information about the area's history and management as well.

met19 Mar 30th, 2011 08:59 PM

sorry peter, but I'm not gonna climb uluru. will see sunset, sunrise, check the exhibits, but not climb it. i know some feel you should climb and some feel you shouldn't- i'm in the later camp.

dotty Mar 30th, 2011 11:18 PM

We had 2 half-days and 1 full day in the Uluru and Kata Tjuta area. Experienced 2 sunsets, both very different, at Uluru plus a sunrise there. If we visited again I would hire a car and see the sunset and sunrise at Kata Tjuta - it's an equally awe-inspiring place.
We used the local indigenous Anangu people for our tours and would do so again.
Enjoy the visit. We did, and we did not climb Uluru.

peterSale Mar 31st, 2011 08:58 PM

No need to apologise to me Met19. It is your loss not mine. I've climbed it and spent five hours up there!

If you do have two sunsets go to the site around the back and you will see the Olgas and Ayers Rock in the one view. It is ideal in the morning but well worth it at sunset. There were only about eight of us there. A big contrast to the hundreds at the other site. Otherwise a dawn trip would be worth it.

Allow plenty of time at the Olgas. The track is good by made of large gravel and a bit slow going as a result. There are two steepish uphills and consequently two steepish downhills on the full valley of the winds track but it goes between two of the humps as is well worth it. The rest is undulating. Take plenty of water and solid shoes and you wont have a problem.

dotty Apr 1st, 2011 12:54 AM

I didn't realise you could go around the back of Kata Tjuta and Uluru, Peter. The more I read the more I want to return to Ayers Rock to do the trips I couldn't because of my injured knee, and to spend more time at Kata Tjuta. We did the short walk there, which I must say was pretty impressive.

peterSale Apr 1st, 2011 03:28 PM

There is certainly more there than most people are aware of. The average tourist spend 1.6 days there. Not nearly enough to do things properly.