Reload this Page >

Two questions about April in Australia and New Zealand

Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello South Pacific experts,

I'll be heading to Australia and New Zealand in mid-April.

First question: Do we go through customs when we enter the country (Sydney) or at our final destination (Cairns)? I'm expecting decent weather that time of year, so not worried about wardrobe there. We are spending four days in Cairns then going back to Sydney.

Second: We'll be in New Zealand's South Island at the end of April. How cold is it likely to be? I'm thinking of bringing a fleece jacket. I'll also have a sweater and a windbreaker/rain jacket. Will that be enough?

I'm puzzled about what food I can bring so I guess that's question three. I think no fruit (fresh or dried) or nuts, but would packets of peanut butter crackers pass customs?

Thanks. I'm getting excited about this trip and it won't be long!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
1) Sydney, although you may have to go through a second quarantine inspection in Cairns (this happened to me once when traveling from Melbourne to Hobart)

2) April is the SI's most settled month, so you should have some nice weather. We take a fleece and a waterproof layer on every trip to the SI regardless of time of year and it's worked well. Yes, a fleece, sweater and rain jacket should be plenty. If you plan to hike a bunch, you might also throw in a pair of rain pants, and it never hurts to pack a hat and a pair of gloves, just in case...

Peanut butter crackers...probably okay if commercially prepared. Be sure to declare EVERYTHING in both countries. Fresh fruit and veg is a big no-no, as is honey, nuts in their shell, plants, meats (unless canned), eggs and some products containing eggs, etc.

Most commerically prepared items are okay, such as crackers, cookies, candy, canned nuts, coffee, some teas (herbs can be problematic) etc. I recently brought in some dried fruts and nuts into Australia and had no problems - they read the ingredients - turned out they were looking for walnuts only. So, you never know...

Enjoy your visit!
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:57 PM

The only way you could clear customs in Cairns would be if yoo were just transitting Sydney and had been ticketed on an international flight to Cairns, possible but depend on your ticketing/airline, Cairns also taking international flights but if you change to a domestic flight in Sydney, it'll be out through immigration/customs there.

Weatherwise, my crystal ball ain't likely to show much more than any others but Cairns you can expect to be warm, possibly some rain if wet season runs on and whether it does or not, it'll still be quite humid in April.
Further south, Sydney will likely have mild weather but you can also get autumn storms, but more than likely trending mild to cool.

New Zealand will be cooler still and also just as much possibility if not more for rain than Sydney, especially west coast of SI.
But weather here just like most places does vary year to year, Australia having been in somewhat of a drought for many years, still is in places but then widespread flooding in inland outback Queensland coutesy of more a monsoonoal trough than any cyclone, the nearest this year having been far enough offshore to limit rain though coastal areas have still had a reasonable ammount.
Year before, inland was still relatively dry and yet Q coastal areas had flooding.

Food wise, Mel has it more than covered - stick with nothing fresh [ you could get fined if forgetting about a flight meal apple - especially in NZ where it happens regularly enough], most commercially processed and labelled foods OK , but do declare it, honey actually Ok for Australia except WA.

Just in case you do not know, you do need a visa or travel authority for Australia, visit www.immi.gov.au and click on Electronic Travel Authority on right of page - you can apply for one online.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM

Yep you will only strike trouble if you don't declare and they find it!
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:13 AM

Where will you be in the South Island? There were light frosts in some inland areas this morning and more are predicted tomorrow -- so quite cold at night and first thing in the morning. On the other hand, this should give the autumn colours a good start in inland Otago and Canterbury and a frosty morning here is usually followed by a warm, sunny day at that time of year.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the info. I will be flying Qantas to Sydney (have the visa)and changing planes (Qantas)to Cairns. I was hoping to avoid the wait for the luggage, going through customs and then rechecking the luggage, but have to do it I guess.

We'll be in Christchurch and then Queenstown for a few days, spending a day at Milford Sound, and then Auckland. I was most concerned about Queenstown and Milford Sound. I'll pack a hat and gloves and warm socks.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 03:07 AM

If it's Qantas to Sydney and then Qantas to Cairns, there's a good chance you're checked through with luggage all the way to Cairns so check your ticketing.

There is a split on ticketing numbers from what I recall, they having a numbers of certain span for domestic flights leaving from the international terminal but they also could shunt passengers onto Jetstar, their el cheapo subsidiary, so pay to check with them.

If you do have to exit immi/customs in Sydney there is a baggage check in for their domestic flights in the international terminal and then they'll transfer you to the domestic terminal in a shuttle bus.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 03:21 AM

L,
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying...Guide/sydDomT3 is a Qantyas reference to the T1 International and T3 Domestic terminals and shuttling for domestic to International and so it'll be the reverse if that applies for you.
If your Qantas flight to Cairns is a QF1 to QF399 it'll mean you'll be on an international flight still and luggage should be able to be checked through for clearance in Cairns.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 04:49 AM

I was in Queenstown last May (which would typically be colder than April). There was snow on the mountains -- making it even more incredibly beautiful. We bought a pair of gloves and a scarf while we were there--but it was not bitter cold. We thought it would be especially cold on the boat at Milford Sound -- but it wasn't.

We were lucky enough to have glorious, bright, sunny days and daytime high temps in the upper 40s and low fifties. Dressing in layers was the key. It was WONDERFUL!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I'll check my tickets.

If it was upper 40s, low 50s in May, I hope it will be mid to upper 50s in April, but it will be the end of April. I was concerned about the boat in Milford Sound, glad to hear it wasn't too cold. I will pack a hat and gloves, and warm socks though.
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm back! What a great trip. We had some rain, but it never got too cold. I loved Sydney and wished I'd had more time there. It was a bit rainy but so what, it was still beautiful and interesting.

Also loved Christchurch and was surprised at the lovely flowers in Queenstown at that time of year. Lots of colorful foliage and spectacular scenery from Queenstown to Milford Sound, which was cool and rainy but not freezing.

I did have to check my bags in again in Sydney for the flight to Cairns and declared food in both Aus. & N.Z. and had no problem. They asked what I had and said okay.

Thanks for your input on this trip, it helped.
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome back Luisah - glad to hear you had a good trip.