Trip to Melbourne

Mar 28th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Mike

Trip to Melbourne

My Wife and I (NZlanders) are holidaying in Melbourne starting mid July. We have booked at the Oakford Gordon Place Hotel for a week. Have we chosen correctly or is there a better alternative. Any ideas for what to do.
Regards Mike.

Mar 28th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Mina

Hi Mike:

I've pasted and copied some comments I posted on the trip report awhile back. The bottom line is that it's not the swankiest place in the world, but a pretty good value. The location is great...steps away from Chinatown, and near some of the best located hotels in the City Center (Sofitel, etc.) Hope some of these comments help....

Stayed: Oakford Gordon Place (City Center). Good value for the money. Complimentary use of Laundry (very important on long trips!) and helpful staff. $165 AUD for large studio apt.)
Bleah. Don't know why I didn't love Melbourne...too many shops. Great shopping though. Stay away from City Centre for the best shopping. Go to the suburbs. I did enjoy Chapel Street in South Yarra (take the number 8 tram)

Oakford Gordon Place is not a luxurious place...they have an older section, and a remodeled section. I first got a room in the newer area, which was on the ground floor, tiny, and felt like a prison cell. I protested. The second studio I got was airy (high ceilings) and twice the size. Furnishings left much to be desired, but I got used to it, and enjoyed the space. So this place can be a crapshoot, I suppose. Just wanted to let you know, in case anyone took my suggestion, ended up in a hole of a room, and emailed me "what the f*ck were you thinking??!?!?"

Mar 29th, 2002, 05:40 PM
marg

Once upon a time, Gordon Place was a home for derelict men. Some years ago it was taken over and renovated as a boutique-style hotel. It looks quite good from the outside - haven't been inside the rooms.
It is quite central. While you are staying in the city, you can use the free City Circle trams to get around the CBD.
Hope you have a good holiday.

Search this Thread