Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Trip to Australia, stop in hong kong or not (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/trip-to-australia-stop-in-hong-kong-or-not-746178/)

car Nov 2nd, 2007 07:33 AM

Trip to Australia, stop in hong kong or not

I am planning a trip with my family,
5 of us in total, next August to australia, There is the possibilty of flying direct, or eventualy spend some days in Hong Kong.
Depending on this stop I have to organize the flight schedule.
For the whole trip we have 4 weeks.
I will appreciatte your comments.
Car,

wally34949 Nov 2nd, 2007 08:07 AM

Four weeks so you do have the time. Is it something you have wanted to do? I've done the flights from London to Sydney and LAX to Sydney and Qantas does an excellent job and the entertainment systems are great so the flight does go by quickly.

I wouldn't stop if you are just trying to break up the flight, because once in Hong Kong, you will be tired and will need to go through the hassle of going to your hotel and returning to the airport.

LizzyF Nov 2nd, 2007 02:31 PM

I have done this trip myself and would certainly recommend it if you would like to stop over in HK. There is an airport hotel where you can stay when you arrive however the trip into town and to the hotels is both easy and swift. The only down side of things is that the flight from US to HK is not much less than US to Aust so you are actually adding a few hours to the flight. Finally though, if you have not been to HK or Macau then I would say that it is a particularly interesting destination with perhaps a side trip to China for some really good shopping.

Peteralan Nov 2nd, 2007 07:56 PM

If it was me I would stop in Hong Kong as Lizzie suggests. I never fly straight from Aus to Europe but that's just me. If it is from LA then maybe but as I love Hong Kong that would be my choice. Depends really on how far you are coming and how much you want to cram in in Australia.

chimani Nov 3rd, 2007 04:39 AM

Where are you coming from? Europe or the US?

If Europe I am with Peterlan on this. It is a long flight - but that is not the reason I too always stop on the way. I do that because there are so many interesting places to see. Granted, once you have done it over and over it gets harder - like I've had enough of BKK for now!!

Hong Kong is well worth seeing. But if you stop it should be for at least three whole days. You have four weeks. So would that impact on your plans for Oz? Where are you planning to go once you here?

The other thing is that HK is expensive. Do you care about that?

car Nov 3rd, 2007 11:47 AM

Tks,for the answers

I am flying from Europe but now I am finding an additional complication, I can fly at reasonable prices to Sydney and Hong Kong but I have trouble finding good prices Hong-Kong/ Sydney.
Our intentional stop is for four days, in order to have time to visit. Our idea is more oriented towards visiting HK than just a flight break up.
Regarding Australia we are planning Sydney, then Ayers rock desert, Whitsundays islands.
I have to do some homework, for the Australian holiday, then revert questions if you people don't mind.
Tks again.

LizzyF Nov 3rd, 2007 01:55 PM

If you are coming from Europe then definately stop in HK. If you are flying with Qantas/BA/Cathay-Pacific and the like then you can factor in a stop over anyway. If you are flying Oasis Air from UK - HK which are about $400 then you could fly HK or Macao to Singapore on Tiger Airways and then to Darwin with them as well. Get flights from Darwin to other Australian destinations with either Tiger Airways, Jetstar, Qantas or Virginblue. By the time you come Tiger Airways may well have added other destinations as that is on the drawing board at present.