Trip to Australia

Sep 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Trip to Australia

My husband and I are going to Sydney and Port Douglas at the first of November. He needs to find a dive company for the Great Barrier Reef. Any suggestions?
Also, what type of clothes and color of clothes for this month? Will Australian be wearing spring colors?
We also want to go to wineries out of Sydney. Any suggestions?
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:03 PM

lindagail, I don't know what the spring colours are in Sydney this year, although I just read than tangerine fingernails are very in. It doesn't matter much though.

It matters even less in Port Douglas, it's hot in November and the least clothes the better - at that time we just about live in sarongs. Or loose cotton, no synthetics. Just be wary of sunburn.

For one day dive trips out of Port Douglas Haba Dive has a brand new boat and Calypso is also good as it doesn't take too many people and has just received its eco-rating. He may also want to look at Quicksmart which belongs to Quicksilver (its not the huge Wavepiercer which takes 100's). Quicksilver has also just launched a brand new boat - Silversonic - designed to minimise seasickness on rough waters, but that shouldn't be a problem in November when reef conditions should be ideal.

For wineries out of Sydney its the Hunter Valley, but someone else with more recent knowledge than I have can answer that.
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Does your husband need a Dive School to learn scuba or just a company to arrange dive trips?

November is the last month of Spring so will be mid/late 20's to 30's in Sydney and probably high 20's to early 30's in Port Douglas. And yes, Australians do wear spring colours, and black and white. In areas such as Port Douglas, "resort/ Island wear" In Sydney, wear what you'd wear in New York, Paris or London in the Spring/Summer.

Recommendations for wineries out of Sydney would depend on your transport mode, time you wish to spend in the area. The Hunter Valley is the closest but there are other options also.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Yes, you need to be PADI certified or recognised equivalent to dive, but assume you know that. Otherwise its introductory diving. Also assumed your husband is looking at one day dive trip, which is why I mentioned the above operators.

A liveaboard dive trip will take in so much more though, Spirit of Freedom is just one which does a 3 day trip to Lizard Island, Cod Hole and Ribbon Reefs, north of Port Douglas. And if you have more time the very best is "Undersea Explorer" . This is also a scientific research boat which goes to best dive sites on Great Barrier Reef and Coral Sea. Whilst its geared to divers, snorkellers are welcome and not made to feel at all inferior.
Sep 13th, 2005, 03:14 PM

This Spring I will be wearing last year's cargo pants, in a fetching shade of olive green, teamed with my personal rumpled look in shirts, colour irrelevant. For formal occasions I will exchange my white sneakers for beige suede boots, and perhaps iron the shirt.
Sep 13th, 2005, 04:49 PM

Omigawd Neil ... not the brothelcreepers! Haven't you still got those burgundy platform shoes & that fetching floral fitted shirt to go with the flares? Or if that's a bit too formal, where's that old "Bintang" singlet - would go perfectly with the cargo pants.

This morning I am sporting a fetching size xxxLLL shirt,long sleeved, oliveish (cast off of v.large cousin), army shorts, khaki, (cast off of skinny nephew), airconditioned Reeboks of vintage age. All of the above stylishly decorated with varying hues of paint from the projects on which they've been employed over the years. Some people keep detailed notes on the paint colours they use. I just take the shirt down to the hardware store & ask 'em to match the splotch. This ensemble will be topped off with my old mustering hat. Of course it's an Akubra! Are there others?

Now, I'd best get on & finish painting the deck before the wind gets up or I'll have to add my ex-husband's old Joey's jumper!

Sep 13th, 2005, 05:36 PM

That's very glam. Bokhara, just checked my husband's spring "look" for today -a tatty T-Shirt from Palm Springs, a torn piece of old sarong (lets the fresh air circulate around the nether regions) a hideous green 4XXXX cloth hat which I think he found in the street and paint-splattered sandals. Makes Neil's spring outfit positively sartorial.