Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   Travelodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/travelodge-827605/)

StuQ Feb 21st, 2010 11:49 AM

Travelodge

I see there are 3 Travelodges in Sydney. Phillip Street is most expensive, then Wynyard, then Sydney (which is $40 less than Phillip).
Is one location significantly better than the other? Is the extra cost of Wynyard or Phillip woth it?
I booked my hotel at the Travel Lodge Wynyard for 154AUD/night.
Is that a good location? Should I try to get something less expensive that would be comparable in comfort?

Thanks

Bokhara2 Feb 21st, 2010 04:19 PM

Wynyard is the best location of the 3 and IMO a better property, as the Phillip Street one is located within the NSW Leagues (Football) Club. It's 5 or 10 minutes walk to The Rocks & Circular Quay; right opposite Wynyard train & bus stations and a block from the centre of the CBD. I don't know whether there are harbour views from the Travelodge, but it's worth asking.

However, there are some great deals on www.wotif.com.au for self catering apartments with kitchens, washing machines & dryers, pools, gyms, good locations and a lot more room than a hotel room.

Generally speaking, self catering apartments will be newer/fresher/more modern than hotels at this price point.

Two examples for your dates, with minimum stays of 2 nights: Mint - Napoleon on Kent is offering studio apartments from $107 and 1 BR apartments from $118. Metro Apartments on King has 1BR apartments at $145.

I know apartment hotels in NYC are quite limited, but in the capital cities here, there are a lot of very good properties and it's the accommodation of choice for most frequent travellers, even if it's just for 1 night. They will have tea & coffee making provisions, dish and sometimes laundry detergents, so it's not a case of arriving into a totally bare apartment and having to spend $$$$ to set it up for a few days.

Qn for you, Stu: If I were going to NYC & looking for accommodation, what location would you recommend?

DownUnder Feb 22nd, 2010 12:49 AM

I agree that Wynyard is a good central location, walking distance to everything and that is a good price for Sydney.

DownUnder Feb 22nd, 2010 09:31 PM

Incidentally the Travelodge at Southbank in Melbourne is an excellent location. Close to many restaurants and also walking distance to everything. Southbank being one of the best locations for a Melbourne visit.

di2315 Feb 23rd, 2010 01:32 AM

We often stay in the Travelodge Phillip St - it's very convenient to the centre of the city, Botanical Gardens & a pleasant walk to Circular Quay. But I don't imagine the Wynyard Travelodge has any major disadvantages.
If you book on line on a Tuesday (Australian time), you get a discount off the regular booking cost at all Travelodge. Di