Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Traveling to NZ in July-what kinds of clothing should I bring?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2003, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in NZ from July 1-August 1. I know it is winter there and will bring my winter clothes. I will also be bringing my ski jacket, ski pants, and long underwear as I am going to ski camp midway through. However, what do I need for certain activities such as hiking/ice climbing at Franz Josef Glacier, abseiling in Waitomo, and the Shotover Jet and other Qtown activities? I have a waterproof ski parka and a Patagonia windproof fleece that I plan to bring. I assume I need a waterproof windbreaker of some sort as well. Also, I don't know what kind of pants to buy or types of shoes I need. Hiking boots, sneakers, any ideas? I would love to hear from not only NZ people but from anyone who has been there. Thanks very much.
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:02 AM
ALF

On the SW coast of the South Island, you are going to experience some substantial rain. I would invest in a good-quality breathable rain jacket. Are you really going technical ice climbing (i.e. with crampons, ropes, ascenders, and ice axes)? If so, you need stiff boots that would be much more substantial than the hiking boots you would use for just walking around on the glaciers.

You only need a medium-weight set of hiking boots to go glacier hiking and abseiling. Some companies include footwear and clothing (wetsuits or raingear).
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Hi again ALF-good to hear from you. I don't know if it's actual ice climbing, but hiking the Franz Josef Glacier which looked like from pics there was a lot of ice. I might not have described what I was doing correctly. What about pants? I don't want to wear jeans or cords and my ski pants are not appropriate for this type of activity. Thanks for your help.
Old May 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
ALF

Yes, there is a lot of ice on Franz Josef, but it sounds like you will be walking on slopes, as opposed to rope work. Medium-weight hiking boots will do the job, but you should waterproof them the day before you go (I like Nikwax). As for pants, I would buy some breathable rainpants. If you don't want to spend that much, then at least get some nylon windpants that will be water resistant.

I was working on a glacier last week, and it was awfully nice to have good rainpants, so I could just sit down on the snow to rest without much fear of getting soaked.

Have a great time! I'm jealous - I'd love to go skiing in NZ this summer!
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:39 AM

HI Abby
Great to hear you are coming this way and in the winter too. Where will you be skiing?
As for the clothing question, we have some top notch companies here that make good winter clothing especially for the outdoors like natural wool pullovers. You might want to make some purchases when you see the range of shops sellling clothing in the ski areas. Even the airport shops but they can be a bit more expensive.
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

KATHY!! My new best friend and ally...thanks for the advice and same to ALF. I am very excited to come to NZ. I'm sure it will be fantastic. I was thinking about just waiting until I got there-not only is my money stronger but I'm sure there are more options as far as clothing goes. Do you have suggestions for pants? Any companies that might have online service so I could view things ahead of time or know what to look for in the US? I realized this AM that my old ski coat will be great (as opposed to my new ski parka that I use for skiing) for the glaciers and other activities, but I still need some pants. I live in NYC so I"m sure there is something or somewhere around here to find these things.

Thanks for sticking up for me in the other email. Glad to see someone else is on the same page as I am! Where do you live in NZ? I"m traveling part of the N.Island and the majority of the South, and skiing at Treble Cone for a week.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:49 PM

1)Light weight hiking boots (sprayed with Scotch Guard)
2)2-pair wool hiking socks.
3) Patagonia Long Johns/shirt (They were fantastic!)
4)A warm cap & gloves
5)Columbia pants>shorts (good with long johns & for abseiling)

You can also rent equipment/ski pants at the mountain. We rented pants so as not to lug an extra item with us.

Have fun!

Old May 15th, 2003, 01:25 AM

HI Abby
I searched last night for the website of a company I wanted to tell you about.
It's www.kathmandu.co.nz
They have a good range, remember to halve the price to get the US cost.
I wouldn't worry about bringing too much as you will find anything you
need here and fun buying somewhere else.
All the top ski clothing brands are here also. I used to ski a lot but not recently however, the love of it never leaves you.
Which airport are you flying into?
Old May 15th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Kathy-I fly from JFK to Auckland, then tour the North Island for a week. Then I fly to Christchurch and tour the South Island for 3 weeks. In the middle of that I am going to ski camp at Treble Cone for a week. I then go to visit friends in Melbourne and Sydney. Definitely one of the benefits of working at a school..summer vacation!!! I"ll check out that website now. Thanks again. Where do you live?
Old May 16th, 2003, 12:42 AM

Hi Abby43
Send me a mail on my hotmail (spammed to death address)put abby43 so i don't delete it.
[email protected]