Suggestions for 3 Days in New Zealand?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am meeting a friend in Auckland on 12 July. We plan to spend two days in the city and the immediate surrounding areas. (That part of the trip can't be changed).

After that we have three days (14-16 July) for the rest of the country before flying out of Auckland on 17 July. I know that isn't nearly enough time to do the country justice, but I was hoping to get suggestions of where to focus our time.

I would ideally like to rent a car and get to see some of the beautiful countryside. Would be up for visits to farms, wine country, or hiking.

I'm not sure if it is feasible that we would get to the south island or not (how long of a drive is that?).

Thanks for your help! This is my first time posting, so let me know if I should provide more details.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I've done a bit more research and am specifically interested in the Hawke's Bay region - hikes, winery tour, etc. It looks to be about a six hour drive from Auckland.

Specific recommendations would be appreciated! Thank you -
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Hi, asalamy,
Hawke's Bay is about 6 hours drive as you said. It is an interesting place to visit. Napier, one of the two main cities, is an Art Deco city, and certainly worth a wander through the main streets to see the architecture. The city was reconstructed after a massive earthquake in 1931 destoyed much of it. There is the Aquarium which has performing dolphins and seals. There is also Cape Kidnappers Gannet Colony, which is worth a visit. This needs to be booked as you cannot go out by yourselves. Certainly worthwhile. Hastings, the other main city, is very attractive to look through. Havelock North, between the two, has many lovely wineries - Lombardi, Te Mata to name but two; Te Mata Peak which has the most amazing views out across Hastings and Napier, and a lovely village atmosphere. A good website to look at is www.hawkesbaynz.com .
The days you are here in NZ are school holidays so my advice would be to organise your plans and accommodation fairly quickly. For accommodation I always use www.qualmark.co.nz - Havelock North is central for Napier and Hastings, and has some lovely motels. Mind has gone a blank and cannot think of more at present. Will get back to you at a later time today.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the details, Dotty.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 08:46 AM

You can't get to the South Island in the time you have unless you fly from Auckland. If you decide to do that, the Marlborough/Nelson region should meet your needs.

Lee Ann